Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: EPS exports - Adobe Illustrator

Quote Originally Posted by antimix View Post
    If XARA opts for option 2, this will have a cost increase for the product (due to the Adobe licence) but I am sure that it would be paid from professionals users that would have a most serious product without the need to buy two applications.
    There is already a substantial cost for the Pro version $249US versus $89US for plain Xtreme. Xtreme Pro is just under 1/2 of the $599US list price of Illustrator.

Pro users are willing to pay for features. I originally bought several copies of Xreme Pro because of the features in the Pro version that were not in Xtreme. But, many of those same Pro features are now in Xtreme.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

There is a big difference between Pantone and Adobe.
    Xara does not compete with Pantone.

I can't see the problem with owning a copy of AI while using XX. Most XX users in your position would be quite envious that you have a solution on your computer for those common .eps woes.
    True love is the ultimate truth

Quote Originally Posted by PatentGuy View Post
    Pro users are willing to pay for features. I originally bought several copies of Xreme Pro because of the features in the Pro version that were not in Xtreme. But, many of those same Pro features are now in Xtreme.
    Yep, I know how you feel, but since I have it now, the upgrade difference
    aint that much now, so now I stick with it, but the reason why I started
    using Pro are now gone, maybe I need the other extra features someday, and
    then it won`t matter anymore.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Since it seems to be stockphoto's or a bitmap output that you are wanting would Gimp not be a suitable alternative? Produce your vectors in Xara export them what ever way you want to get them into Gimp and then export as EPS from there as I believe that Gimp does produce quality EPS. I don't think many Pro users would back spending money on an export function which is now not used really by printers but gets around the font issues so that it is why it is used by the online printers.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks Albacore,

Actually, I am looking to produce a vector eps, not raster.

If you want to keep them all vectors there are two other solutions for your problem, each with their own problems. Use Inkscape which I don't like which had an EPS export on the command line but you would need to change text to a path much like Xara. The other is to use one of these PDF converters like this one and export to EPS: http://www.e-pdfconverter.com/docume...ter/index.html

Similar situation here. I deal with alot of different companies to embroid/print logos on bags, t-shirts and tons of other promotion material. They ask for .eps files and if i sent them an exported Illustrator file from Xara they ring me back and tell me they can't open it. They mostly don't want PDF either (for some unknown weird reason) but sometimes i'm lucky they accept PDF. So i import the artwork into illustrator and from there i save it as .EPS. I do really only use Illustrator as an export tool..
    Last edited by Xcellent; 16 June 2008 at 11:22 PM.

Thankfully I did not have to buy my copy of Illustrator. I have a copy on my PC at work.

I do like the speed and ease of use of Xara but then again, I love some of the things I can do in Corel. If have to buy a copy of Illustrator just so can use Xara, then I am thinking it is not worth it. If I can buy illustrator and not upgrade Corel AND Xara, maybe it will be worth it. Plus, If I work with lllustrator to the point where I am comfortable enough to make the switch, then maybe I will find benefits in Illustrator that I was not seeing before.

Who knows, before you know it I may be working on a Mac.

I am having exactly the same problem. Clients unable to use images exported from XPro as Illustrator files because they can't open them.

Damn, damn, damn I was hoping there was a fix for this by now.

I would have thought you could send it if it was going to be opened by AI in PDF form as that is one of its main formats! If your customer wants to add and edit and they state that they want a AI format ask them to open it as a Legacy formatted file and Xara only exports to Version 8 so if you use this method it has to be plain vectors with no special effects. Because of the huge increase in PDF and Xara working hard to improve this module Xara has done no development work in the AI export which is what you would expect.