Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: My restaurant and take-away X4 website

salaam,

Nice website

Quote Originally Posted by PatentGuy View Post
    It would be difficult/time consuming to do that site design with most other web editors or by hand coding
    Actually, it doesn't hard and time consuming if you know CSS and HTML )) And more accurate for sure.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Thanks for the encouraging comments all.
    Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    You might want to read this thread, as the text doesn't align as you are expecting...
    Thanks David, I did notice a problem with the right aligned text and after looking at 'this thread', hopefully I can solve it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatentGuy View Post
    Are the icon buttons (pizza to sundae) related to the buttons (Indian to Mid East)? If so, you may want to have them in the same order. If you could make the mouseover state hit both the icon and the button, even better!
    Thanks Tom, yes and no, I might change the order but I don't know (in the end I went for aesthetics). I did have an idea of linking both buttons and icons to the text but it proved a little messy. Does anyone know of any problems with making a single mouse-over take up half the screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I like it Anas. The rollovers are fun and ideally suited to your site. Are the PDF's only temp ? They are a single bitmap and I had trouble reading the text. Zooming in didn't improve the matter either.
    Thanks Egg, the PDF was and is a problem. I want the PDF to be easy to read on screen but also small in memory size as there is no need for anyone to print from it (most deliveries include a menu and the shop should have copies as well). The bitmap should also show as much information as possible as soon as the file opens in the browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by aridzone View Post
    I did notice one problem. When the buttons are moused over they move and light up instead of just lighting up. This means that they are not in the same positions on different layers.
    Thanks Aridzone, it was my intention to have the positions move as this is the case in reality, although I did initially move them in the opposite position but they still don't look like they have been de-pressed. Maybe I should have them just light up?

I started this site by looking at Gary's invaluable tutorials but with my executive dysfunction limitations and the fact that the tutorial isn't in 'bite sizes', my brain 'crashed' a few times so I had to do it by 'trial and error'.

Anyway about the half page mouseovers?
    True love is the ultimate truth

O.K. I have made some changes:
    I came across a lot of hurdles especially regarding the rollovers but I came up with some work a rounds.
    With the right hand food icon menu, I will have to create a separate page or have the information far down below on the same page.
    The green strip rollovers don't always work properly. I guess this is because of my browser (firefox) as I have tried 'everything' within XX.
    I don't know if the page is confusing or easy to use?

When applying a [web address] the option for [clickable area] [shape of object] doesn't seem to work. The area is just 1 big bitmap square.

From another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    As long as you use pixel sizes for your fonts, no system resolution setting can influence the appearance of the page.
    I still can't make the right aligned text straight and how do you change the font sizes to pixels?

Leicester Halal
    Last edited by salaam; 14 June 2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: another querie

Quote Originally Posted by salaam View Post
    ...When applying a [web address] the option for [clickable area] [shape of object] doesn't seem to work. The area is just 1 big bitmap square
    ...how do you change the font sizes to pixels?
    The clickable area is just for image maps I think you'll find.

To change font size to pixels: utilities>>options>>units
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

[QUOTE]The green strip rollovers don't always work properly.[QUOTE]

Same thing here, don't work in FF but do in IE. One thing though, do you need the green strips? Page looks really good I think and navigating it easy, green strips just duplicating links really.

Just a thought
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by salaam View Post
    The green strip rollovers don't always work properly. I guess this is because of my browser (firefox) as I have tried 'everything' within XX.
    I don't know if the page is confusing or easy to use?
    The green menu bar strip is a good idea, but it does not fit with your page design.

The green menu bar overlaps the list of menus. As a user, I would expect to mouse over the names of the restaurants to be able to select the menu. Currently, it is set up to mouseover only the dots to the right. If I mouse of the restaurant name, the green bar pops up and that is not expected.

I find the new page with the green menu bar a bit confusing and too complex.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

Tell you what would be neat - mouseover on blue buttons and relevant pink buttons 'light up' or hand image appears Don't know how to do it mind you
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 14 June 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: extra suggestion

Thanks John

I also have a generic comment. The Internet is international. I sit here in the United States. I see from your profile that you are in the UK. A web browser is a window to the World. As I sit here looking through my window to the World, the only way I know if you are located down the street from me or half-way around the world is if you tell me.

If I were to come across your website, I would have no idea where you are located, or even which country. If I look at your domain, I will know it is a UK domain. But, your page does not provide any information as to your location.

I think it always advisable to provide location information on the home page. Particularly if the product or service is local, like a restaurant. A side benefit to including clear location information on your home page is that local searches will more readily return your page. Google Local and Yahoo Local are valuable for targeting local customers.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

Tom I can't think of any sensible reason why a .uk domain name would be used for anything other than a site and/or business which is located in the .uk ?
    Seeing the domain name and 'Leicester' made it reasonably clear (to me) that the restuarant is in Leicester, UK and not in Atherton, Qld Australia.
    I've not looked into obtaining a .uk domain name (for obvious reasons) but I'd not be suprised if there are some restrictions in place on just who can register a domain with a .uk suffix?