Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDF problems

Default PDF problems

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue for me.

I have installed Xara 4 and for awhile I was creating multiple pages documents in Xara and successfully exporting them as multiple page PDF documents after that.

I am now out of the blue having HUGE problems doing this same action.

I can create the multiple documents in Xara without a hitch, and start the export process into Adobe reader, but it freezes with only a partial transfer after I have chosen my quality of document. It not only freezes Adobe Reader it messes with my entire computer. I can't even get to task manager to end program. I have to do a hard shut down.

I have tried this on both of my computers and they both are doing the same thing.

Please help if you can.

Thanks,

Jen

Default Re: PDF problems

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfun View Post
    .. start the export process into Adobe reader, but it freezes with only a partial transfer after I have chosen my quality of document. It not only freezes Adobe Reader it messes with my entire computer.
    Slightly unsure what you are meaning here by 'export process into Adobe Reader' or 'partial transfer'??
    Do you mean you are exporting to PDF or PDF/X type from Xtreme?

I have tried this on both of my computers and they both are doing the same thing.
    The only thing I can suggest, as the parameters of possibilities at this stage are huge, is to try various PDF export settings.

Without knowing the contents of your .xar file, it would be pure guess work. Perhaps you can post the file?

"Slightly unsure what you are meaning here by 'export process into Adobe Reader' or 'partial transfer'??
    Do you mean you are exporting to PDF or PDF/X type from Xtreme?"

Sorry, I meant I was in the process of exporting my Xara images as PDF type.
    The "partial transfer" means I would get an image preview of the PDF file with only some of the xara images on the page. For example - my Homeberries logo would show up with only the H, and the O leaving the rest blank.

As far as posting the .xar file, I really can't on this one as it's a new pattern I'm going to be selling. What I can tell you is it's 4 pages long with the first page including simple vector images with text, and 2 or 3 bitmaps. The rest of the pages are text or straight vector line drawings. Total it's about 8 megabytes in size.

Jen

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I have had similar problems and I found that usually something in the xar file causes the problem, why, I don't know. Once it was a bitmap, another time it was a line of text. The only way that I found to fix the problem was to remove pieces from the document one at a time and try to export it, once whatever is causing the pdf to fail is removed from the document it will export correctly.

Finding the offending bit can be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but if you start by deleting a whole page at a time(that is everything on the page not the page itself.)you can determine what page the problem is on, then it is a process of elimination. Once you have found what is causing the problems if you delete it and replace it you should be able to export it correctly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Try exporting one page at a time to PDF. Sometimes this will work fine even if the whole document fails to export. If it does, then use PDFSAM (freeware) to merge the PDFs into a single PDF document

Good tips Guys.

I'll work on seeing if I can find the problem, if I can't then I'll try exporting one page at a time.

Thanks,

Jen

OK, I'm still fighting this thing.

I'm attaching my file with only a few vector lines missing. It still won't export as a PDF.

If you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks,

Jen
    Attached Files Attached Files

OK, I'm still fighting this thing.

I'm attaching my file with only a few vector lines missing. It still won't export as a PDF.

If you have any ideas let me know.
    I exported it three times using my custom options: Version compatibility is pdf 1.5 with native color model and limiting bitmap resolution to a rasterization resolution. Xtreme Pro 4 did not report any errors.

I tried opening the files in Adobe Reader 7. For one file, I received the Adobe Reader error message that "A drawing error occurred." That error would not always appear.

Repeatedly opening the files would result in the page being displayed as it looked in XXP. But, every so often, after the page is rendered, the "BERRIES" in your header and the graphic below it would disappear.

Something odd is going on with your file!

I moved various elements to a hidden layer that was not viewable and exported to pdf (my default is to exclude invisible layers). If I hide only your "HOMEBERRIES" name at the top, the resulting pdf seems to open fine every time I open it.

To clinch it, I hid everything except HOMEBERRIES and exported. I randomly got errors when I tried to open that pdf in Acrobat reader, particularly if another file was already open in Acrobat. I think there is something screwy with how the name is made. Hope this helps!
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

The decision is simple
    in cases like this you have to try to optimize some kind the document....
    I mean all this objects, bitmaps with shadows etc just have to be converted to one single bitmap and voila, document is exported for 5 seconds

here is the optimized xar file and exported PDF

P.S. You have some fonts unrecognized by my system, so check this...
    Last edited by minimiro; 10 February 2009 at 11:01 PM.
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Jen

Following on from Tom's observations that the Homeberries seemed to be creating a problem, I moved the homeberries outlines to a separate layer and Combine/Add Shapes. I also moved the remaining text that was still text to it's own layer and converted to editable shapes in XXP as the shadows where forcing it to become partly rastered.

It all seemed to work okay and export as expected using PDF/X using no other options.

I attach the xar file that exported correctly but I can't attach the pdf as it's to large for the forum. Perhaps you could try exporting this an see what results you get.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host