Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: PDF problems

Hybrid View

Default PDF problems

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue for me.

I have installed Xara 4 and for awhile I was creating multiple pages documents in Xara and successfully exporting them as multiple page PDF documents after that.

I am now out of the blue having HUGE problems doing this same action.

I can create the multiple documents in Xara without a hitch, and start the export process into Adobe reader, but it freezes with only a partial transfer after I have chosen my quality of document. It not only freezes Adobe Reader it messes with my entire computer. I can't even get to task manager to end program. I have to do a hard shut down.

I have tried this on both of my computers and they both are doing the same thing.

Please help if you can.

Thanks,

Jen

Default Re: PDF problems

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfun View Post
    .. start the export process into Adobe reader, but it freezes with only a partial transfer after I have chosen my quality of document. It not only freezes Adobe Reader it messes with my entire computer.
    Slightly unsure what you are meaning here by 'export process into Adobe Reader' or 'partial transfer'??
    Do you mean you are exporting to PDF or PDF/X type from Xtreme?

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfun View Post
    I have tried this on both of my computers and they both are doing the same thing.
    The only thing I can suggest, as the parameters of possibilities at this stage are huge, is to try various PDF export settings.

Without knowing the contents of your .xar file, it would be pure guess work. Perhaps you can post the file?

"Slightly unsure what you are meaning here by 'export process into Adobe Reader' or 'partial transfer'??
    Do you mean you are exporting to PDF or PDF/X type from Xtreme?"

Sorry, I meant I was in the process of exporting my Xara images as PDF type.
    The "partial transfer" means I would get an image preview of the PDF file with only some of the xara images on the page. For example - my Homeberries logo would show up with only the H, and the O leaving the rest blank.

As far as posting the .xar file, I really can't on this one as it's a new pattern I'm going to be selling. What I can tell you is it's 4 pages long with the first page including simple vector images with text, and 2 or 3 bitmaps. The rest of the pages are text or straight vector line drawings. Total it's about 8 megabytes in size.

Jen

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I have had similar problems and I found that usually something in the xar file causes the problem, why, I don't know. Once it was a bitmap, another time it was a line of text. The only way that I found to fix the problem was to remove pieces from the document one at a time and try to export it, once whatever is causing the pdf to fail is removed from the document it will export correctly.

Finding the offending bit can be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but if you start by deleting a whole page at a time(that is everything on the page not the page itself.)you can determine what page the problem is on, then it is a process of elimination. Once you have found what is causing the problems if you delete it and replace it you should be able to export it correctly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Try exporting one page at a time to PDF. Sometimes this will work fine even if the whole document fails to export. If it does, then use PDFSAM (freeware) to merge the PDFs into a single PDF document

Good tips Guys.

I'll work on seeing if I can find the problem, if I can't then I'll try exporting one page at a time.

Thanks,

Jen

I have had this from time to time.
    It is - imho - a font related issue (among other possibilties afcourse).

If I use standard fonts - no problem
    The more fonts and the stranger they are - more problems
    particulary making logo's

Few ways past this - change the offending fonts into bit maps thereof
    I sometimes bit map whole pages. This reduces size too.
    don't embed the fonts - but this has implications
    stick to standard fonts

I tried Egg's way and it still jammed my whole computer up. So I ended up making the "front" page a bitmap and it exported beautifully.

Thanks so much for everyone's help.

I seem to make a mess of my projects on a regular basis. LOL

Jen