Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire Mesh

Default Re: Wire Mesh

I wasn't at all impressed with the video and I wanted to shoot that guy/gal for taking so so so very long!
    -=Bob=-

Drifter: It is in projects like this that the mesh tool comes into its own. It can be done in Xtreme, but I'd rather not, as it is quite difficult. AI's approach, with an improved mesh tool, would make creating items like this much simpler.

Xara needs a mesh tool... It needs to be there, even if it's as "time-consuming" and "painful" to use as AI's. The thing is... It's useful for ANY vector work (not only for copying photographs of vegetables and musical instruments).

Suffering "pain" and "time", is not "suffering" if it gets your work/idea done... It's just getting it done...

It's a basic tool that any "PRO" user would expect to be there... I know... I know... "PRO" is a touchy and scrambled subject... BUT in this case, I'm talking about professional illustrators making a living using AI or Draw. Xara can do it better than Adobe and Corel by just focusing on core (vector) improvement. I'm sure they can.

Hoping for Pros (AI and DRAW work-users) to seriously consider Xara as an alternative - Xara has to at least match the basic tool set. Sure, Xara has some amazing "ups" - on AI and DRAW but you have to match the "basics" for people (that make perceptions tip) to have a serious look.

For the record: I don't consider myself a "Pro"... Even though I often get paid to draw my silly, simple, shapes (that could be done in any vector application (by anyone)).

Even as the evil "sonovabishmoderatah" here at TG, I do make friends... AND when it comes to those friends (and showing them Xara) - they almost ALWAYS bail out at "Stroke Shapes"... Because they can't be customized... *sigh* It doesn't make any sense!

The MESH needs to be there (for starters). It says "PRO" on the box... Make it happen! Make things closer to even!

Xara red-eye tool (it comes implemented in kiddie cameras now)... My daughter is 10 and does it quicker IN-CAMERA, than I could possibly do shoving the stick in to my HP - to bring it in to Xara (or any tool).

I did initially like the idea (even though I would never use it myself) of Xara's html export solution... But in general... isn't it too late for tentative ideas (by 5 years at least?) when there are mature solutions such as wordpress, drupal, joomla, typo3, and more, available in any cpanel, by all real hosting companies? All that goodness in free!

Xara, I'm just a dude here at TG – but for the next release, please, focus on the vector drawing features please, or all we will end up with is a horrible mess of "everything half-arsed".

Sorry for the "rant" - I needed to get it out.

It's out now - and I'm going to bed.

Risto

Unhappy Re: Wire Mesh

Quote Originally Posted by inabottle View Post
    I know this has prolly been discussed, but is there any talk about implementing a mesh too into Xara Xtreme, similar to the one in Illustrator. Because I cannot use illustrator worth crap and its slow and stupid. I've been waiting for xara to get a mesh tool but it hasnt happened. Hopefully its in the works.
    Seeing as there's been no new vector tools since X1 through to X4 I wouldn't hold your breath. Apparently there's no money to real development. I think they wanted to get some free development done by making it open source for linux a few versions ago but nothing came of it. There current tactic to swell the coffers is to make it a more all round swiss army knive of graphic applications - Flash, HTML, 3D, birmap manipulation etc.

I find the fact that Illustrator seems to improve leaps and bounds with each new release but still has a very awkward interface very fustrating. Otherwise I would have jumped ship long ago.

Yes, this change of direction, came as a big disappointment to me, it seems I joined the Xara family just as that decision was made; just as version 2 came out?

Xtreme has and still does sell itself as an high-end vector illustration tool, just look in the galleries. Though it started off being very impressive; speed, interactive tools and largely intuitive, I'm afraid it is loosing ground, in all areas, all the time. How long can Xtremes speed advantage carry the program on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    Yes, this change of direction, came as a big disappointment to me...

Xtreme has and still does sell itself as an high-end vector illustration tool, just look in the galleries. Though it started off being very impressive; speed, interactive tools and largely intuitive, I'm afraid it is loosing ground, in all areas, all the time. How long can Xtremes speed advantage carry the program on its own?
    I wouldnīt say it better. Thatīs exactly what i feel about it. And i fully agree itīs loosing ground in the vector area - the main reason i use it all the time -.
    The other features donīt compensate this loose in absolutely any way. Itīs like condemning the best and shiny part of the software to dead killing the whole thing with it. The less specialized features hardly justify the cost of the program and donīt make any sense by themselves without itīs core vector toolset, turning it in just another ordinary graphic program.

I hope that all those threads appearing recently after the release of v4 regarding this subject (core vector tool) will bring the attention of Xara development team...

Join skeletal vector brushes, nested layers, a gradient mesh tool, improve transparency types (to match Adobe set) plus other little improvements sugested by users to Xara Xtreme arsenal and let Illustrator go blind with the dust...
    All the rest, xhtml export, photo edition etc as i already expressed above are a bonus that only make sense integrated within the context of an advanced vector feature set.
    Last edited by MEB; 08 June 2008 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint View Post
    Xara needs a mesh tool... It needs to be there, even if it's as "time-consuming" and "painful" to use as AI's. The thing is... It's useful for ANY vector work (not only for copying photographs of vegetables and musical instruments).

<snip>
    Sorry for the "rant" - I needed to get it out.

It's out now - and I'm going to bed.

Risto
    Glad you've added your support to what seems like a little bit of a rumble of discontent amongst the long time users - better vector tools! Not to much to ask for from the fastest vector application on the market after 5 years.

Your work is always nice to see and your opinions always seem to be thought and measured responses.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 08 June 2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: reduce quoted post

Have a look at the other thread here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...t=15540&page=5
    I don't know why I picked the older thread to give my reply but if you think the mesh tool is easy to use, thing again. To do any drawing using the mesh tool especially the face you need to have an understanding of the bone structure and to do that type of drawing takes planning.

Having said how hard it is to use I definitely think that Xara needs to improve it vector tools and the Mesh Tool should be one but I still think that vector brushes should be number one. Sorry that is just from my point of view.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Have a look at the other thread here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...t=15540&page=5
    I don't know why I picked the older thread to give my reply but if you think the mesh tool is easy to use, thing again.
    No one every said that but I've used transpant elipses till I'm bored to tears to get similiar effects. The 'glass ceiling' has been reach about 2-3 years ago with the current tool set - time for expansion of horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by JokeArtist View Post
    ...I've used transparent ellipses till I'm bored to tears to get similar effects...
    That's an extremely fitting expression. I got bored to tears with Xara's approach well before I achieved effects like that.