Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire Mesh

Default Wire Mesh

I know this has prolly been discussed, but is there any talk about implementing a mesh too into Xara Xtreme, similar to the one in Illustrator. Because I cannot use illustrator worth crap and its slow and stupid. I've been waiting for xara to get a mesh tool but it hasnt happened. Hopefully its in the works.
    Rian

Default Re: Wire Mesh

Others have asked for such a tool too.

You would think that the basic technology is already there in the four colour fill, which could just be 'extended' in some way, but we really have no way of knowing what Xaras priorities are or what they are developing, they tend to keep this kind of thing to themselves until it is done.

Ok. There's been a lot of talk about this mesh tool ........

Stupid Questions - What is a mesh tool? How does it work? What does it do? and What will it allow Xara to do that it can't already do?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

From what I've seen the mesh tool used for, Xtreme is much faster using the shape editor, transparencies and feathering for one.

This video shows how laborious it appears to be

Illustrator Mesh Tool quick tutorial

Here's another (static) demo

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    From what I've seen the mesh tool used for, Xtreme is much faster using the shape editor, transparencies and feathering for one.
    Part of the reason people are asking for the tool is that they intuit that it can be implemented better. Imagine how much quicker your YouTube example would have been if the guy could bend the beziers by selecting between two nodes.

Another reason is that it is easier to accomplish some effects using that tool than is possible in Xara right now. For instance, take figure 5 from your static example. Creating an exact replica of that is rather difficult in Xtreme, although it can be done using blends. (After a little experimentation, I can only figure out how to do it in the attached manner.) Now, imagine that one of the corner points was another color besides black--it quickly gets incredibly difficult in Xtreme. I can't figure out how to do it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Imagine how much quicker your YouTube example would have been if the guy could bend the beziers by selecting between two nodes.
    Yes agreed - dragging the *line* was one of the very first things that won me over to Xtreme.

thats why I want xara to have mesh's because I cant stand the handling in Illustrator its not intuitive at all, mesh's in Xara would be amazing.
    Rian

Personally, I'm not a fan of the mesh fill tool. I am told it is the best tool for photo-retouching, but that's not my thing. I agree with Sledger to an extent, you can draw any shape you choose in Xtreme and feather it or apply transparency. It is a different way of working than mesh fill, but closer to an airbrush in my opinion, which would be my prefered tool.

Still, a few people have asked for this and, as I say, you would think the basic technology is already there.

well thats what I use right now, shapes feather and transparencies... which is fine, but it does give a sort of air burshed feeling!
    Rian

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post

This video shows how laborious it appears to be

Illustrator Mesh Tool quick tutorial

Here's another (static) demo
    Imo, the video shows how bloody amazing the mesh tool is!

(It also shows how bloody stupid Illustrator's node editing tools are, but that's another separate story.)
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 08 June 2008 at 01:02 AM.
    Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.