Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default "curvy cross processing"... xara can do this, right?

http://www.layersmagazine.com/curvy-...rocessing.html

There are so many tutorials out there for the 800 lb gorilla that sometimes I wonder if they are all doable in xara. I think this one is-- yes?

Default Re: "curvy cross processing"... xara can do this, right?

Yes, Live effect tool > New > Color filter > Shade curve.

thanks. it would be great if some of the tutorials for workbooks for xara would take some of the more classic or popular photoshop tutorials and translate them to xara. even if just to make it painfully obvious that xara is playing on the same field. also, at times, the ps tutorials use elements of ps that may not have a direct correlation in xara, and at those times, it would be nice to see the same tutorial from xara's point of view

thanks for the answer....

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
    even if just to make it painfully obvious that xara is playing on the same field.
    Xara isn't. And neither is PS in the same field with Xara Xtreme.

Xara Xtreme is a Vector illustration tool which has some very useful Raster tools enabling it to work quite well for some bitmap editing jobs, mostly for the web and brochures etc which some people may have thought reaching for PS was necessary. PS in those cases would probably be an overkill.

Xara Xtreme can certainly accomplish some of the things traditionally thought only PS could do, but Xtremes strength is in it's primary purpose, which is vector drawing.

The recent release of Xtreme4 has seen some additional Photo tools added, but again these are not even trying to compete with PhotoShop, they are simply offering an affordable, sensible fast alternative for bitmap editing when PS would be over-kill.

Yes, I know all that. All I'm saying is that 80% of the fantastic effects that tutorials cover for photoshop use like 20% of the tools of the program, typically.

Yes, these are usually graphic in nature, not necessarily all vector, for magazine ads, art, and photo effects by using a combination of tools for an interesting end result.

Curves. Layers. Transparencies. Gradients. Fills. Etc. xara has most of these tools, and so it's just the ingenuity, and then translating the process to xara's terminology. Or when Xara is missing a particular tool used, a xara-version tutorial can illustrate a workaround.

Anyway, there's always talk about how xara can capture a greater audience, earlier, like in schools. This would be a direct way to start letting those people see that xara is just as realistic an option. Tutorials for PS are a huge way people just starting PS. Things are spelled out for them. Once they learn PS, they're reticent to switch.

Sounds like a great idea for a challenge.

Tallis, why not find a PS Tutorial once a week and post in the Challenges forum.
    Let's see how many Xara wizards can create the same thing using only Xara Xtreme and it's tools?

Excellent idea Sledger. And those of us who aren't as good as others (like me) can possibly learn something along the way. I don't know Photoshop at all so just going from A to B, I have no preconceived ideas.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

I agree it would be interesting to either figure out how to do it or to see how others make an effect work.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris