Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Layer Inadequacy

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
    It would be nice to be able to hide and unhide individual objects, as in Illustrator. This would be helpful when manually tracing an image, for example.
    since outline view now converts everything to outline view - including bitmaps because they are now [filled] shapes - this gets my vote too
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I add my vote to this as well.

I would use this when mocking up webpages.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

Indeed, this would be useful.

Also useful would be the ability to peg the view quality of a given layer to be no greater than a given value (so you can keep some layers in outline) and (one which I've wanted for ages) to be able to turn an entire layer semitransparent so you can accurately draw beneath it (yes I know you can group the whole layer, set a group transparency, do your drawing, then remove the group transparency, but it's tiresome).
    IP

Yes, many complex functions can be achieved with work-a-rounds, which are tiresome, and, it has to be said, many requests for new features are about 'automating' things which can be done with work-a-rounds and cutting down the number of 'mouse clicks' needed to get one thing or another done or asking for alternative ways of doing things, almost all of which can be addressed with custom macros/actions, but don't get me started down that road. I've already bored people to breaking point on this subject, so nuff' said.
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 18 May 2008 at 01:05 PM.
    IP

Agreed!

I asked for better Layers several versions ago. I hope in each new release something will happen with them. And each time I've been disappointed. Xara has quickly fallen behind in this area I'm sad to say.

What I want to see is the individual objects on the layers. The ability to see details about them - whether they are a bitmap, a curve, text, group, etc., in the layer list. Be able to name them, and move them around in the list. Put behind or move to front is ok, but being able to drag an object in the layer list is much better.

I really hope Xara gets this one right. That's really one of the main missing items in my opinion.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

I could not agree more Red. That would be so cool!
    Last edited by Soquili; 19 May 2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of Red's post.
    IP

Wow, after reading all this I just really felt the need to register to be able to reply. The request for layer groups was already done a year ago:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=29787

How is it possible that this was never added?

The point is, I have a Photoshop background, I really wanted to learn Illustrator, since it has some things in common with Photoshop, but Illustrator and I simply don't get along, I think it's a very akward program that doesn't make any sense in lots of areas, it's not written for humans if you ask me.

Xara Xtreme seemed to me a very capable program, I fiddled with the trial and almost decided to buy it, but if it's lacking groups...now way! I will never be able to live without layer groups, especially with large projects, it would really slow down my workflow and take out all the fun of having layers and groups like we see in Photoshop. Grouping objects is simply not an option either, never.

I don't understand why this feature was never added if people already asked for it a long, long time ago, it's something that should have been in the program from the start. What the heck if it means a different file format, this simply needs to be added if you're indeed serious about this product.

After reading this thread and some much older related threads I have very little hope that it will ever be added, especially considering that no Xara employee cares to comment, which is sad because it's such a nice program.
    IP

Nested Layers have been requested several times on here in DEC 2005 and JAN 2002.

'Brand new' features don't seem to be high on the priority list rather than enhancing existing features.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellent View Post
    'Brand new' features don't seem to be high on the priority list rather than enhancing existing features.
    ..depends if they have HTML in their name or not.. ;-)
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    ..depends if they have HTML in their name or not.. ;-)
    Or if Magix was pushing it to get a 'HTML-Studio-Dreamweaver-Replacement' to put Xara into a category in order to sell it to the stores? Who knows - it's waaaay OT anyway It's a great feature, no doubt!
    IP