Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D spinny logo

Default 3D spinny logo

OK, So I'm basically trying to create a 2-part logo. The first part is the group name (W3. Don't ask!) in the middle. Spinning round and round. That's the easy bit. Which even someone as useless at graphics as me has managed :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w3.gif 
Views:	580 
Size:	345.3 KB 
ID:	48866

The second is the group project title. I want this to be a band of text, spinning in a clockwise manner around the group name.
    Can I do this in X3D, or am I going to have to draw the project title in some other software, and import it as an image as it were, and have this image rotate around the name in the centre?

Cheers for any help

Hemmers
    Last edited by Hemmers; 09 May 2008 at 09:37 PM.

Default Re: 3D spinny logo

Hi,
    You can do this quite easily in X3D.

In Xtreme etc. put your text on a curve, eg. a circle or whichever how you want.
    In X3D, display the cursor, press [return] and paste in the 'text on a curve' vector.
    Reduce the 'font' size of the W3.
    Go to the 'text options', select and position the 'W3' using the 'base line shift'.
    Select each shape, one at a time and use 'rotate1' to apply the animation directions.
    True love is the ultimate truth

Sorry, I don't quite follow.
    In Photoshop I was able to generate the text, and map it around a circular path.
    But I hit return in X3D as you said, and copied the text in and it simply comes out in a straight line. I'm guessing it's simply copying the text, not the vector/shape data.

What exactly do you mean by
    paste in the 'text on a curve' vector
    Do I have to import that as a file (if so, what format is appropriate), or is there a function I've overlooked that pastes it with the vector data as well?

Cheers,
    Hemmers

it sounds to me like xara3D is not recognising the photoshop path as a vector - need to do this in a vector editor
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

X3D accepts .emf or .wmf files as 2D shapes. I don't know if PS can export these.
    Can't you simply make your addition text as you made your W3, ie. as a simply vector object.
    'text on a curve' means 'text on a circular path'.
    True love is the ultimate truth

Hi again,
    I'm really struggling on this.

In Photoshop it's really easy. I create a circular path, and I apply text to the path. Exactly what I want, except it won't copy vector data into X3D.

I don't have Adobe Illustrator available as a vector editor, but I do have Xara Xtreme. The nearest thing I have found though is the Shape Editor Tool, which as best I can tell, allows me to generate a curved path that I can map text to, but I can't make a circle out of it, on account of it starting as a straight line that I bend.
    The Help database is really not providing any answers, and I can't seem to find any answers on the web. Can anyone please point me to a step by step guide to creating text in a circle in Xara Xtreme!?

Cheers,
    Hemmers

See attached mini tutorial.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text on circle.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	49038  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Hemmers, try this TUTORIAL
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Excellent. Cheers, That's exactly what I was looking for

Finished article:
    Name:  small full spin.gif
Views: 1016
Size:  250.7 KBName:  small W-spin.gif
Views: 531
Size:  254.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    Excellent. Cheers, That's exactly what I was looking for

Finished article:
    Name:  small full spin.gif
Views: 1016
Size:  250.7 KBName:  small W-spin.gif
Views: 531
Size:  254.9 KB
    could you please tell me how you make the one on the left i can do pictures but i have no idea how you make the text move around the outside as well