Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No Synthetic BOLD in Extreme Pro - I need two Xara versions!

I've searched and read others discussing the removal of synthesised bold on fonts used in Pro 4.

Can I just say this now makes my life a nightmare unless I run version 3 as well, which I now have to do! I frequently have to return to older jobs for either snippets or to do another printjob - and of course they don't look the same in 4.

I'm sure there is a reason for it, maybe bold variants were'nt being used at all in the first place and it was all synthetic, and the change was needed to get in-check with the standard.

But please Xara, at least an option to use the feature!!! You've effectively bodged alot of my portfolio.

At very least I want to get away from having to load up an old version of Xara to open my docs correctly - that's just...niggly...and poor.

Pro 4 is awesome by the way, I'm very impressed - bar this minor issue.

Default Re: No Synthetic BOLD in Extreme Pro - I need two Xara versions!

Xtreme 4 is more in line now with how Adobe products handle type, which also makes it more compatible with Adobe products.

Synthesized bold and italics are not supported by many applications and there is a big different between simply slanting text and a true italic font.

I know that for a lot of us who have gotten used to this option, it is a pain not to have it, but it is really better and more professional in the long run.

True italics are usually a very different design and can be very elegant.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	italics.png 
Views:	448 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	48851  

-strike my post... misread-
    Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Unhappy Re: No Synthetic BOLD in Extreme Pro - I need two Xara versions!

While were on the subject.

If the font highlighted in Xpro is Zapf & you use the pull down. It always defaults to A & you have to scroll down - annoying. Shouldn't the pull down auto scroll to the selected font? Common sense say's it should.

The Xara Programers did this nice work with the font pull down only to stop short of something truly spectacular. If only the Font Gallery worked like the pull down...
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Xtreme 4 is more in line now with how Adobe products handle type, which also makes it more compatible with Adobe products.

Synthesized bold and italics are not supported by many applications and there is a big different between simply slanting text and a true italic font.

I know that for a lot of us who have gotten used to this option, it is a pain not to have it, but it is really better and more professional in the long run.

True italics are usually a very different design and can be very elegant.

Gary
    Yeah I thought as much, and I know it is the 'proper' and 'pro' way to do it. Infact all new jobs are done in Pro4 now, but this still poses problems for all my previous works.

It's not the complete end of the world - but it's close too it bar the big meteor and the boiling sea.

I still think a backward compatibility mode, or maybe to load but not being able to save synthesised?

Until then I'll run both versions but try to redesign older affected jobs in Pro4, and start new jobs in Pro4 only.

there are various other changes as well - eg to the way bitmaps/fills operate - that mean I keep three versions of xara in my current windows build - at least you can do this with xara, and its backwards compatibility up to a point - not ideal but workable I find
    Last edited by handrawn; 10 May 2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typo
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

If the font highlighted in Xpro is Zapf & you use the pull down. It always defaults to A & you have to scroll down - annoying. Shouldn't the pull down auto scroll to the selected font? Common sense say's it should.
    I agree, it is a pain.

I would like to see it work so formatted text returns to the applied font but unformatted text starts at the top of the list with the fonts used in the document. It's a mixed bag. I can see why they have done this but I agree it is not the most efficient way.

Quote Originally Posted by wW View Post
    I´m unsure if i understand what you said but when you highlight a word or a paragraph, wathever in Xara, the drop down list shows the font used and picks it at the top of the list (in the used document fonts area).
    Where´s the problem? Maybe i´m missing something here...

Correct for me too.
    Selecting a line of text in Xtreme 4 automatically shows the selected font face in the dropdown menu.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by wW View Post
    While were on the subject.

Yes, definitely, and in principle, this is how it works, but we also introduced the "used fonts" section at the top, so if the font is in there (which it usually is), then the list scrolls to the entry in the top section, not to the main entry down the list.

It took a lot of experiments to get the font dropdown to its current state and I think most of it is pretty much as good as it can get but the initial scroll position is one thing I am still unhappy with. Partly, this is caused by Windows limitations. It proved impossible to open the list fully at the top while not displaying the topmost item in the field. Opening at the top would at least enable you to see the complete "used fonts" section. Now, you always see half of it (from the selected font downwards).

Still, I thought this would be more useful than opening the list at the font's entry in the main list because I thought that users would be most interested in the "used fonts" section rather than the other fonts with similar names. The main reason for wanting the font menu to open scrolled to the actual font would be to get access to its variants, but you get that from the top entry as well - except of course for fonts that come as several families. So, I cannot think of a good solution really. Maybe I could add a hidden option to always open the font menu scrolled to the main entry instead of that in the "used fonts" section. Would that improve things for you?

Martin (Xtreme text developer)