Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: "Please insert the installation CD and restart the program"

I still get this message on both my computers and cannot load X4 successfully. Just to make sure I wasn't doing the process wrong I gave the chore over to my son who is in IT work. Same result.
    There is a new computer arriving this week and my guess is that I still will not be able to load from the CD. I had to revert back to the e copy to get on with my work. Not that thrilled.
    I am actually thinking that I have a faulty disk. Only time and patience will tell.
    Rupert.

As much as we moan and groan, things ain't going to change, it's the Magix way! I assume that there is a clear CD medium replacement policy, should your original become damaged, so it'll have to be a case of grin and bear it.

As I've said before, Xara isn't a big player in educational graphic software in the UK. Certainly problems with network installs are not going to endear them to the admins. The "competition" provide easy network installs and give free copies to teachers... a sprat to catch a mackerel!
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"

Quote Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
    As much as we moan and groan, things ain't going to change, it's the Magix way!
    That's a rather defeatist view of the power of public criticism to influence companies.

Magix is not doing that well at the moment, and realising that they've queered Xara's already tenuous 'professional' (i.e. high-margin) credentials with games-industry craptech might be important to them.

I suspect that at Xara UK there are people with their heads in their hands saying, "I told them, I told them..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanna View Post
    I still get this message on both my computers and cannot load X4 successfully. Just to make sure I wasn't doing the process wrong I gave the chore over to my son who is in IT work. Same result.
    You probably are doing everything correctly. The CD is copy protected and it sounds like your hardware is having trouble dealing with the copy protection.

I suggest contacting Xara support. There is another thread here where Sigmation said Xara Tech Support provided instructions for installing the extra files from the CD with the download version. It would be nice if Xara provided that information publicly.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

Quote Originally Posted by willdean View Post
    That's a rather defeatist view of the power of public criticism to influence companies.

Magix is not doing that well at the moment, and realising that they've queered Xara's already tenuous 'professional' (i.e. high-margin) credentials with games-industry craptech might be important to them.

I suspect that at Xara UK there are people with their heads in their hands saying, "I told them, I told them..."
    FWIW, Not really being defeatist, just a realist! What proportion of Magix's sales is made up by Xara, I don't know but I would have thought that it was perhaps not that significant, so it's grin and bear it.

I fully agree that it's likely that Xara UK folks themselves are not happy but it's out of their hands now. Look on the brighter side, as long as Charles is around, I ain't got too much of a problem, if he was to ride off into the sunset, then I would be a worried man!
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"

Cool Re: "Please insert the installation CD and restart the program"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanna View Post
    I still get this message on both my computers and cannot load X4 successfully. ...Rupert.
    Hi,

just a note:

- I had to DISABLE Avast antivirus during setup, since it was hanging-up the system. In fact he was analyzing the CD, but due to the error scheme on the CD it crashed the system or hanged-up.

So, DISABLE ANY ON-ACCESS antivirus and install XARA 4 again. It may work also for you! .

Regards.

Smile Re: "Please insert the installation CD and restart the program"

Not sure is anyone is still dealing with this issue, but I figured it out on my install of ubuntu 8.10 running winxp sp2 on VirtualBox...

Rather than mounting the CD after the VM is running... shutdown windows and mount the cd from the settings page... be sure and check "Enable Passtrough". This will allow the install of Xara in the VM to directly access the CD/DVD drive and in my case solved the problem...

Just thought I would share that incase it helps anyone else...