Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Please insert the installation CD and restart the program"

I just got my XaraXtreme 4.0 CD and tried to install it onto a Windows XP (SP2) VM (running on VirtualBox in Ubuntu). And after installing, I get a message asking me to "Please insert the installation CD and restart the program." After installing/uninstalling 4 times... and yes the CD is in the drive and is accessible, it continues to show that message and never starts Xara up. Here's screenshot of the image:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2042/...1ffefc59_o.png

Before I installed the CD version, I did have the downloaded version installed. I uninstalled that before installing the CD version. Oh, and I tried the full install and the minimal install... same result.

Anyone ever encounter this before?

Rich

Default Re: "Please insert the installation CD and restart the program"

I have Xtreme Pro 4. I think the CD is copy protected. I typically copy CDs to my server (permitted by the EULA). I was not able to successfully copy all files (2 had CRC errors). Nor was I able to make an ISO of the CD.

If the CD is hardware copy protected, your VirtualBox VM may not be able to access the hardware directly from within the VM. Direct hardware access is required to use certain types of copy protection.

As a test, I was able to install XP4 from the CD onto a VMWare VM with a guest OS of Windows XP SP1a.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

I have the same problem, I cannot make an image of the CD as 2 files are unreadable. These 2 files are Iofile.x64 and Mov_io.x64.

Strangely enough, these 2 files have the exact same size as Sound.x64, which is readable though.

Bernard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaraCDProblem.gif 
Views:	952 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	48794  

I got my X4 disk today. Same problem.
    Can't overcome it. Now the downloaded version doesn't work either.
    Rupert

Smile Re: "Please insert the installation CD and restart the program"

Quote Originally Posted by PatentGuy View Post
    I have Xtreme Pro 4. I think the CD is copy protected. I typically copy CDs to my server (permitted by the EULA). I was not able to successfully copy all files (2 had CRC errors). Nor was I able to make an ISO of the CD.

If the CD is hardware copy protected, your VirtualBox VM may not be able to access the hardware directly from within the VM. Direct hardware access is required to use certain types of copy protection.

As a test, I was able to install XP4 from the CD onto a VMWare VM with a guest OS of Windows XP SP1a.
    Thanks for the clue... I got it to install after changing my VirtualBox config to use the CD/DVD in "passthrough" mode which gives the VM direct access to the hardware.

Thanks a bunch.

Can't seem to find such an option in VirtualPC, I'm stymied. :-(

Xara: I realise this is a Magix standard copy protection system that has been dropped on you, but copy protection on apps is not acceptable to me, and I'm especially annoyed that we were not notified of this limitation prior to purchase.

As long as it stands I will no longer be purchasing or recommending anything from Xara. I would appreciate it if you could pass my intense annoyance onto the responsible parties. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by BobInce View Post
    Xara: I realise this is a Magix standard copy protection system that has been dropped on you, but copy protection on apps is not acceptable to me, and I'm especially annoyed that we were not notified of this limitation prior to purchase.

As long as it stands I will no longer be purchasing or recommending anything from Xara. I would appreciate it if you could pass my intense annoyance onto the responsible parties. Cheers.
    Not only is the CD copy protected, but the software requires online activation/registration after entering a serial number. These multiple forms of redundant protection make the software very unattractive for businesses that have multiple copies. It really plays havoc with software control schemes employed by many businesses. At least Adobe allows me to make backups of their software and install from a server (you can even download the full version instead of getting a CD).
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

>As long as it stands I will no longer be purchasing or recommending anything from Xara. I would appreciate it if you could pass my intense annoyance onto the responsible parties. Cheers.

I'm sorry to say that I have the same feeling.
    I have been a Xara customer since Webster time.
    I bought, Xara, all versions of it, Webstyle, from 1.2 to 4, X3D from v3 to 6 ... suffice it to say I love Xara products.
    But this new protection scheme put on the CD itself that won't allow me to backup the software I have purchased is giving me a very bad feeling ..

Let's hope that Xara is able to explain Magix that customers deserve trust .. not to say rights.

Bernard

I thought faffing with CD-ROM formats as part of crappy copy-protection schemes went out of fashion about 10 years ago...

Can they really have done this? I don't understand how that squares with selling software on-line at all.

I know we're approaching a replay of 1978 in British politics, but software vendors don't need to join in with retro kitch of their own.

Not only is the CD copy protected, but the software requires online activation/registration after entering a serial number.
    I don't believe it *requires* it. I unticked the 'continue registration' box and it's been working fine since. No network connection was needed. This is in contrast to the download version which does require activation, but since the CD version existed as an alternative this wasn't too important.

(It might continue to bug you for registration in the future, but Xtreme has always done that, and it's easily disabled in the registry.)

A required-activation would be a disaster; the Magix copy protection is not nearly that bad. But it's still annoying and I want no part of it.

Curiously, even clicking on one of the bogus files causes explorer.exe to go into a hard hang for me, I have to cycle the power switch to get control back. This is not appreciated.
    Last edited by BobInce; 07 May 2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: add para