Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Wacom Pressure

Hello

I don't know if this is meant to happen, but when drawing with a pen, some brushes do not display the line until the line is finished eg airbrush(blue brush). Also I cannot get a really really smooth line gradation, when using pressure scaling. If the effect should be like using a profile on a line, then it is not.
    Same problem with transparency. The bottom line uses a profile as well.

In the posted example(yellow brush) I drew a line, starting with very low pressure, increased to full and then back to very low. The top line is the result. The line below uses a taper profile.
    That is much closer to the intent,but neither are right.This brush does display as you draw.

Perhaps it is just early days.

Mike Engles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pressure.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	5263  

Hello

I don't know if this is meant to happen, but when drawing with a pen, some brushes do not display the line until the line is finished eg airbrush(blue brush). Also I cannot get a really really smooth line gradation, when using pressure scaling. If the effect should be like using a profile on a line, then it is not.
    Same problem with transparency. The bottom line uses a profile as well.

In the posted example(yellow brush) I drew a line, starting with very low pressure, increased to full and then back to very low. The top line is the result. The line below uses a taper profile.
    That is much closer to the intent,but neither are right.This brush does display as you draw.

Perhaps it is just early days.

Mike Engles

Have you adjusted the smoothness slider at the left hand end of the options bar. Move it to 100% to get smoother lines.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Actually Christine this is happening to me as well. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif I tested the Felt Tip brush out, playing with every Brush Profile in the Edit Brush and saving each time and I could not get a smooth transition from a tiny line to a thick lines, there is a point where the transition just goes suddenly from thin to thicker, not so much that it's ugly looking but it's not smooth and it IS noticable!!

I'm also not really pleased that the brush was not permanently altered. When Xara X1 was shut down and then restarted (brush was even saved as a new brush) the original settings were back in place and the newly created brush was not in the line up!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

I would also like to see the Line Width and Pressure Profile/Stroke Shape be saved with the brush profile, whether new or previoulsly created.

So while there are improvements in the brush engine there are still some bugs to ironed out, IMHO!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Richard,

Slight misunderstanding - I was referring to the smoothness of the line as opposed to the smoothness of the transition between thick and thin. I agree it does not seem to recognise the pressure very well, it seems to jump size rather than a smooth 'profile' like transition.

Interestingly though I found I got a much smoother transition after adding Xara as an application in the Wacom Program.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Mike
    Have you tried adjusting the 'Scaling Pressure' ? It works fine for me. I can't duplicate the fault with the airbrush brush. It draws in real time for me. I'd also suggest you follow Christines suggestion of adding XaraX to the wacom list.
    Egg

Name:	!1a_background_attribute2.gif 
Views:	369 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	14296  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hello

I have done both, adding Xara to the Wacom Applications and using max pressure. The effect is till 'notchy'

When using 0-100% pressure I cannot see the line being drawn.

The trailing end never seems to be as thin as the leading. Also some lines have nothing at the beginning.

Another thing is that the pressure slider gets stuck, until I draw another line.

I have played with the Wacom tip pressure controls, with little effect.

I guess it just need sa bit more work.

Mike Engles

Name:	demo.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	18805  

Hmm, guess I'll have to postpone the intended acquisition of that Toshiba M200 tablet ... or use other software

We are aware that the smoothness of the pressure response on recent Wacom USB tablets is not as good as it used to be (compared to old serial port tablets). We haven't changed this area - Xara X 1.0 acts the same. We're trying to find out what this is - whether it's a feature of USB or WindowsXP or what. Can't promise any quick fixes, but we're looking into it.

Hello Charles

I am actually using a serial 6x8 Wacom on WinXP pro. The results are much smoother on Photoshop CS, but that still is not as good as it should be.

Mike Engles