Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Nikon D300 .NEF Files

I seem to only obtain a black rectangle when importing these into XXP V4 does anyone know how this might be resolved please?

I don't really want to convert the raw files to JPEG or TIFF.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Nikon D300 .NEF Files

How will you export your photo's from Xtreme once you can import them as .raw?
    Personally I do not believe that Xara Xtreme is at all suited to the use of and development of RAW camera data. Your photos deserve much better.
    It lacks the proper development tools and destroys all embedded camera data.
    Prepare you photos for use in Xara Xtreme projects by using software designed to work with your RAW data and develop them correctly.
    If you don't like to use your bundled Nikon software, try the freeware RAW developer 'RAWTherapee', or the free version of 'SILKYPIX Developer Studio'

Xara Xtreme is fantastic software for almost everything else, but not RAW.

Xara Xpro 4 displays raw photos as exacly that. Pure raw, and throws out any settings you might have had in your camera besides exposure and f-stop. For example, it tosses out the data from your white balance setting. You will have a bit of work to do with every raw shot, even if the shot is perfect in other raw reading software.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Thanks for your response.

I was thinking more along the lines of creating a panorama using the toolset in the new version of XXP. I can import and see quite clearly those .NEF images taken with a D200 camera, when I import the latest .NEF images from the D300 camera they display as black rectangles.

Yes I do have the necessary tools should I need to "develop" the images, I have the latest version of Nikon Capture NX and the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw too. The latter was updated some time ago to be able to read the format of the .NEF files from the D3 and D300 cameras.

I am creating a book cover and would like to prove to myself that XXP v4 is able to do it completely. I can always go to Adobe InDesign should the need arise.