Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Workflow issues

Default Workflow issues

The following is a list of workflow issues that I would love to see addressed:

1. When creating a new layer please suppress the layer name dialog, it disrupts focus. Add a checkbox to the new layer dialog box: "Open each time a new layer is created", or create a registry setting to suppress the dialog.

2. Have the Fill Tool retain the "Repeat Inverted" drop down setting. The other 2 settings are retained but not repeat inverted, which is the one I use most often. It is useful when exploring textures for an object, to not have to reset this every time.

3. A new option on the Shape Editor Tool bar to allow shapes to be edited only (not create new shapes). When this button or check box is selected, clicking on another object puts that object in edit mode. Clicking off the object just deselects that object. Retain the last setting when reusing Shape Editor Tool.

4. On the Color Line when right click is set to the "set line color" option, allow shift click to bring up the context color menu.

5. Retain export settings for "Area to Save" and fill in the file name.

6. New buttons for pixel fractions next to the X Y and W H boxes on the Selector Tool bar. Add a lock or other icon button similar to the Lock Aspect Ratio button.

When the new X Y button is depressed, objects are created to the nearest whole pixel position. Selected objects are moved to the nearest whole pixel position. Fractions are not allowed in the edit boxes.

When the W H button is depressed, objects are created to the nearest whole pixel size. Selected objects are resized to the nearest whole pixel size. Fractions are not allowed in the edit boxes.

7. Live Effects tool - allow the creation of a custom filters menu or the repositioning of items within the current menu . I only use a few of the Live Effects filters and would like them to be accessed more easily.

8. I like how on the 3D Extrude Tool bar, the first button is a toggle to turn the effect on and off. I'd like to see this added to the Fill Tool, Transparency Tool, Bevel Tool and Shadow Tool. Just a toggle to remove and restore the current settings.

9. Change the icon buttons for "Put to back" "Move backwards" "Move forewords" and "Bring to front" back to version 2 ones. Or add more contrast to the colors and change the object to be moved in the icon to the brighter color not the darker color. They are confusing every time I look at them.

10. Differentiate the icons for the Group and Un-Group buttons. The only way I can tell the difference is by their position on the tool bar, not by their appearance, which is way too similar.

11. When using the Extrude Tool right click and drag on an Extrude item repositions it, right click without drag gives current context menu.

12. Change the starting 0,0 position of a document from bottom left to top left.

13. Full screen preview, with no tool bars and task bar.
    Last edited by Robert H; 29 April 2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: added item

Default Re: Workflow issues

Some serious changes/additions to the Xara UI asked for there?
    Much more than a workflow issue me thinks

Default Re: Workflow issues

Thanks for your reply Steve,

True for 6, 7, 8 and maybe 3. The others should be rather straight forward.

I really love version 4 just want to see it better