Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HTML: Bug when using dropshadows with mouseovers

Drop shadows applied to a popup button set causes partial drawing of the adjacent mouseover object to the bounds of the shadow when the current mouseover object is active.

Applying the same drop shadow to both button sets does not resolve the problem.

Applying the drop shadow to ONLY the mouseover set causes the shadow to become clipped by the popup button bounds.

Test Page Here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsbug.png 
Views:	266 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	48381  

Default Re: HTML: Bug when using dropshadows with mouseovers

What happens when you apply a large enough space between buttons?

Well you have to be quick as the popup can disappear as the mouse cursor travels the gap from the menubar button to the popup button.
    The gap needs to be quite large between each item button to take acount of the bounding area of the DS and isn't what a dropdown menu should look like, or what I would like. But though padding is a work around, the point is, it's NOT a WYSIWYG result.

The shadow of the top one overlaps the shape below it. In my thinking (and I could be wrong) if you then select "Rectangle surrounding object" then part of the lower rectangle is involved. What if you converted each object with shadow individually to editable shape then ungrouped and applied "Shape of object" only to the rectangle and not the shadow? Perhaps this would solve this. Perhaps not.

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	48384  
    Last edited by -=Drifter=-; 27 April 2008 at 12:05 PM.
    -=Bob=-

Okay, having written the above post without actually trying what I said I just tried it and it works great, if you use Popups.

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	48385  
    -=Bob=-

Thanks for checking and replying Bob, right now it's too late to get my head around this, but I'm not seeing why it should require use of image maps when popups should work. As I said, this is not really (touted) WYSIWYG is it?.

I'm also having untold amount of troubles with applying alt= and title= attributes to images which are also links.
    The alt= and title= attributes work perfectly fine when there is no URL, but as soon as there is an URL, alt= and title= attributes fail to work (inspite of being present in the source).

I'm off to bed - brain squish

Bob the 'shape of object' has nothing to do with HTML export - this is only here for imagemap export.

In fact this is working exactly as described in the Help / Manual, which says that for rollover buttons (using the mouseover layer) the area of the original object is updated by the mouse-over effect. And in this case because of the shadow the area of each button is quite a lot larger than just the rounded rectangle. So it's doing exactly what I'd expect.

I'd have to think about how to do what you're trying to do.

Hi,
    Maybe is when creating mouse over effect increase spacing between buttons to compensate would help. I can't say for sure as my 'Website' export function doesn't register on my machine.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    And in this case because of the shadow the area of each button is quite a lot larger than just the rounded rectangle. So it's doing exactly what I'd expect.
    Yes the bounding area of the whole button is inclusive of the shadow because it's part of the button in the same way an alpha transparency would be. It's not doing what I'd expect at all, I would expect the active button to be 'on-top' which includes the shadow, rather than it's shadow area displaying part of the inactive button area below it... IOW: The updated area of the original object is also updating another object.

Scotty , aridzone also mentioned the spacing as a workaround.
    The gap needs to be quite large between each item button to take acount of the bounding area of the DS and isn't what a dropdown menu should look like, or what I would like.
    Additionally you have to be quick as the popup can disappear as the mouse cursor travels the gap from the menubar button to the popup button.

The solution is pretty easy. Separate the shadows from the buttons. Easy to do. Just Make Editable Shape on the button, and un-group. Now the shadow is a separate shape. In fact if you do this for all the buttons, then group all the shadows together, they will get exported as a single shadow object (make sure it does not have a URL), which is a lot more efficient way of exporting these things anyway.

So then just give the button, without its shadow, the URL, and now the mouse-over effect works as you want.