Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Export for printing

I have an 18MB file 19x14 inches print size
    The file 2 basic layers.
    - background tones, bitmap images and a 3d extrusion. Background tones extend outward for overprint so the final piece will be edge to edge printing.
    - foreground with several text areas, with and without tables

I have grouped each of the text areas and the shape that goes with them so the second (uppermost layer) has several grouped areas.

When I export it to PDF the file looks fine. Using Commercial 300.

I have brought that pdf file into my illustrator cs2 (the printer ONLY wants illustrator file) and it changes. Visually it is very similar.
    - First it is off center. The entire piece is shifted to the left.
    - I lose my 2 layers and it is all one.
    - And also found that all the grouping is gone. Each character in each text area is it's own entity.
    Yikes. We will be spending $$$$ to produce counter mats and want to give the printer the best possible piece to work with.

What is the best way for me to keep the integrity of this piece when I send it to the printer?
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Default Re: Export for printing

I have had similar issue. I think if you export as pdf and open it in illustrator and resave as illustrator file it may work.
    Let me know if it does. Oh and you have to convert all your text into outlines.

Default Re: Export for printing

For about the last 3 or 4 versions, Illustrator has used PDF for its native file format. Your printer should be able to work with a PDF/X file. If she or he cannot, then he or she is way behind the current technology.

behzad's suggestion is the best route given your printer has to have an Illustrator file.

If you don't have Illustrator, you can post your file here (with fonts converted to editable shapes) and one of us can take it in an out of Illustrator.

You might also ask your printer, 1) Why he or she cannot work with an industry standard PDF file, and 2) What version of Illustrator she or he needs.

Gary