Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: % of Pantone

Default Re: % of Pantone

so if this was illustrator your saying no one has made a pantone color transparent and used it at different settings over other pantone colors?

Minimiro

You know more about this than I do.

But there is a setting in Acrobat 8 that lets you specify a spot color as Transparent. It is in the Type drop down list. Maybe this does not mean that the spot color can be transparent. I really do not know.

There is one thing that is strange.

I created the PDF/X3 file with the Pantone ocre color and Pantone Black (Not Pantone Process Black).

The ochre color exported but not the Pantone Black. Acrobat substituted Process Black for the Pantone Spot color black.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spot-color.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	48296  

I think that this mean treat this color as transperent, which is something like overprint on this color exactly, nevermind of tint

same is and in Corel's advanced options in print dialog, also as overprint on one of colors in Xara print dialogue

You can use transperency to achieve some result of puting color over color, but its not guaranteed that rip where you send it at finall will understand it correct... also some of rips use autoconversion of transperent objects to bitmap... there no garancy on which rip you will fall on...

from other side overprint is something used from 1990s and there no way to be un-understanded
    Last edited by minimiro; 10 February 2009 at 10:59 PM.
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Thankyou guys. I have to do more research on this.
    Not that i am needing it now but something that came to my mind.

This is an excerpt from a review of the Adobe PDF print engine I wrote for Communication Arts Magazine in 2006. Basically it says that native transparency is supported. But by native transparency, I think they mean Illustrator. And as minimiro points out, most printers do not have the latest technology.

The Adobe PDF Print Engine is aimed at the printing professionals and builds on Adobe’s PDF and PostScript 3, as well as the print industry’s Job Definition Format (JDF), with the ultimate goal of WYSIWYP (What you see is what you print) printing. JDF is like an electronic job ticket that travels with the file from the designer to the printer making it easier for printers to accurately estimate a job and more rapidly make global changes to a job in progress. Files processed by the Adobe PDF Print Engine remain in their native format until the last minute so problem files may be edited in their originating programs without halting production. Files containing complex transparencies that can normally slow down the RIP process will no longer be a problem. This saves time and money for designers and printers.

great, I have heard the latest pdf/x does the trick very well.