Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuzzy Graphic

Default Fuzzy Graphic

Hi,

I'm very new to this and so apologize upfront if this is such a basic request.

I have just created a simple logo in xtreme which has some xara3d text and an imported jpg. When I export it as a gif (I want a transparent background so, I can put it on color on my website), it comes up a bit fuzzy and blurry. (See attached) The real problem comes when I try to place it in itunes as the artwork to support my podcast. (see second attachment)

Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Would someone mind letting me know what I've got wrong.

Thanks
    Shelley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breakthru-logo.gif 
Views:	326 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	48232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artwork.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	48234  

Default Re: Fuzzy Graphic

Welcome to TG

Can you try exporting as PNG file type 'true color with alpha-transprarency'?
    Gif is really only good for simple colour (256 colours or less) images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truecolor+alpha.png 
Views:	317 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	48239  

Thanks sledger - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Your suggestion worked brilliantly - the graphic looks perfect! Next question though - and I guess you knew this would be coming - how do I get the file size down without losing quality? Most of the graphics I do are for uploading on to my website and want them to be able to take up as small size as possible and download as quickly as possible

Thanks again
    Shelley

So let's see your web site, please, if you're ready to display it.

Regards,

Alan
    The unexamined life is not worth living--Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by alanstancliff View Post
    So let's see your web site, please, if you're ready to display it.

Did A Google
    Try this Allan. Regards Norman.
    http://www.breakthroughleadership.com.au/
    Norman. The Flying Scotsman

Hi Alan

My website is http://www.leadership-and-motivation-training.com

This particular graphic I want to be able to put on to my mp3 files which I'll be selling as a podcast. Hopefully people will import the mp3 into Itunes and play from there. The graphic is simply the attachment to the mp3. Once you import it into Itunes with the downsized graphic the graphic no longer looks crisp.

Here's the page on which I've got a file for people to download that contains this graphic.

http://www.leadership-and-motivation...-for-help.html

The graphic once they've downloaded into their Itunes looks terrible. (I resized the original gif 32kb to a jpg 16 kb) to give a quicker download but it's cost me in terms of it looking professional.

Any help I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Shelley

Hi Shelly,
    Is this the image you are talking about? And at this size for iTunes?

http://www.leadership-and-motivation.../lamt-logo.jpg

8.43KB
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 April 2008 at 04:13 AM.

Hi Sledger

Thanks again for reply and being willing to help me, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

No the graphic is the one that will come up in ITunes after people download the Mp3 which is under the link Understanding Emotions on this page:

http://www.leadership-and-motivation...-for-help.html

I've posted the graphics on the forum before. I'm not sure if there's rules about posting too many attachments, so I'm hesitant to post the attachment again, but if you need me to I certainly will.

But what I did, was to do as you said in the first post, which was make the graphic I'd originally created in xara as a tiff - looked beautiful - thanks again. But because of the size of the tiff, I then used a program called HB Image Processor to bring the size down and it saves it as a jpg. Once I've done this the quality is blah! So I'm trying to work out, how I go from the tiff which takes up a lot of bandwidth to a smaller graphic but still looks professional.

Thanks again
    Shelley

That link starts the .mp3 audio file download for me. I don't have iTunes.
    It was PNG file type 'true color with alpha-transparency' I spoke of, I don't think tif would be correct.

So yes, please post (attach) the image at the *quality and size you want* here, and I'll take another look.

Quote Originally Posted by breakthru View Post
    ...used a program called HB Image Processor to bring the size down
    I don't think you need to go to an external app for resizing bitmaps. In nearly every case when I've tested, Xtreme has equaled or exceeded the results I've gotten from another app. You just need to experiment with the settings.

Besides, the image you posted is not a good candidate for jpeg. Too many segregated areas of flat color. Jpeg is for images lots of complex color areas, such as photos. The hand is the about the only aspect that might work well in jpeg.
    Last edited by amoore; 24 April 2008 at 03:28 PM.