Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Transparency error

There is a rectangle in the attached file. It has a linear transparency, but when I select the transparency tool, it doesn't show the rectangle having any transparency!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Transparency error

hmm your correct, but if you open it in a previous version it's fine and you can adjust the settings. weird. i have not seen that before.
    I ate my crayon.

interesting - it appears to be 'locked' into that transparency and the transparency tool has no effect [unless you group and apply another transparency]

how did you create it?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I saw that a couple of days ago, with just a standard lnear transparency applied to an object. I thought it was something I did wrong, and deleted the object and recreated it. It seemed alright the second time, but if it's any consolation, I don't think it's something you did .... I can't recreate it, but I think that it's a bug.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I'm guessing it's related to this.

Hi David,

Can you tell us anything about how you created that file? Which version of the program was it created in? What had you done to the rectangle just before you noticed the problem?

Thanks,

Phil

It is reproducible--whew! It was created with the new April 14, .4966 version.

Create a square, or other shape. Give it a 3-D extrusion. Apply a linear transparency to the extruded object. Now create a rectangle (or maybe another shape)--it now has the uneditable transparency.

Then, save the file. Now try to reopen the file and you will either get an access exception or a "Failed to handle" record XXX... Here's an example of an access exception.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks David,

I can see what the problem is now (although I don't get the access violations that you report). You must have the hidden registry setting "TransparencyBecomesCurrent" set to 1. Right?

BTW: Can you quote the address of the access vialotion that you get when loading, please?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    ...You must have the hidden registry setting "TransparencyBecomesCurrent" set to 1. Right?
    Yes.

BTW: Can you quote the address of the access vialotion that you get when loading, please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.png 
Views:	554 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	48023  
    Last edited by David O'Neil; 17 April 2008 at 04:31 PM.

You can also get this by creating a shape, grouping it, giving that single-item group a linear transparency (or even just a flat transparency), and then creating another shape. The second shape will be not so transparently uneditable. Grrrrr.