Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Default Re: Show Us Your Xtreme 4 created Website!

Jim, we'll agree to differ.

Looking again at the current site, I see no value to the "under construction" text and the ordering page with "coming soon" I have some sympathy with, but think it would be better without. It doesn't really matter if "under construction" is there for two weeks or two years, many visitors won't bother to return to find out. If the website is going to be "complete" in two weeks, it's best to postpone publishing it until then.

An alternative to the "Under construction" and "coming soon" messages would be to have a blog/news type page where you could talk about your photography and the plans for the website. That way you would give visitors a reason to return which would be to keep up with your news/views rather than just to see if you're website is complete.

I appreciate this is a small scale venture, but mainstream websites just aren't made with "under construction" and that's not because they couldn't be built in stages with placeholders, but because it's not a good user experience.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree.

Paul

Bones

I have Firefox 3.0.5 and the text wrap (repel) works OK.

But as we all know, things can vary from browser to browser and if you don't want to focus your site exclusively on IE users, simple is often better.

Which post by BONES are you referring to Gary?

This is my first post and my first Xara-created website. Love Xara and have done since it was ArtWorks on the old Acorn
    Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this little effort:
    www.fyles.com

I'm curious as to why many (most?) modern websites (blogs and forums) only use about 1/3 screen width and the rest is justy plain colour or blank space.
    We have these 'new beaut widescreens' imposed upon us by those in the know and yet we use so little of it's width.
    I asked this question one of my program's new Forum site as it was rather tedious scrolling through the postings, but it was met with silence.
    regards

Printer friendly

Does that mean we get to be dominated by that insatiable appetite of the eternal printer, despite the fact we probably never print a page from Forums, Blogs etc?
    I'd suggest if thats the case then the device drivers should be made program friendly.
    There must be a way we can have a full page width and still be 'printer friendly'.
    I just tried one of my full width forums - print to PDF and it actually printed OK.

By the way - this 'rant' isn't a shot at dantheman's site.
    I thought that looked well done.
    regards

I think also blogs (and some forums) try to be smartphone friendly. Which is fair enough.
    Though personally I dislike my 24" screen to be filled with a single browser window.

The need to print a website shouldn't be a valid excuse to design websites with a fixed width:
    Design a flexible print layout with a (X)HTML/CSS Framework like YAML.

Remi

I don't think an excuse is required Remi. I think it's a design choice.
    I personally dislike self expanding 'dynamic width' sites. I see no point, just as I'd see no point to expanding word docs or PDF files. Fixed width maintains a design concept.

But that's not to say everyone should share my opinion or preferences.