Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Default Re: Show Us Your Website!

With all due respect, outrage is quite a strong word.

"hacking" is a sign that users see and need functionality which is not being provided, and which apparenly CAN be provided via some simple homemade shortcuts... I would assume that since Xara visit this board, it's plain to them that when users start adjusting the program via the registry, it's time to add that functionality to the program... Or at least it should be plain.

In the context of developing user friendly software, I think "outrageous" is applicable. In the context of anything else it doesn't apply.

Xara seems to be turning a blind eye to it's users just hacking the registry to get the software to work better. I can't imagine that making these settings accessible through the program is a big deal.

I find it a bizarre concept to make the software configurable yet hide that configurability from the casual user.

What we have now is a bit of a mess, though I think that the community should be applauded for these workarounds and I really hope that Charles & Co. will address these issues sooner rather than later.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    In the context of developing user friendly software, I think "outrageous" is applicable. In the context of anything else it doesn't apply.

Xara seems to be turning a blind eye to it's users just hacking the registry to get the software to work better. I can't imagine that making these settings accessible through the program is a big deal.

I find it a bizarre concept to make the software configurable yet hide that configurability from the casual user.

What we have now is a bit of a mess, though I think that the community should be applauded for these workarounds and I really hope that Charles & Co. will address these issues sooner rather than later.

Paul
    yep that is what I noticed too.
    A lot of gamedevelopers don't bother that much anymore improving
    their software after release, they depend on the mod'ers to improve their game.

Same here, ofcourse it is nice to have workarounds and hacks, but
    if that means that those issues are not addressed anymore, because there is
    a hack (or a mod ;o)), then it goes too far, I think.
    I don`t like to hack the registry, and if it can be achieved by a hack then that means that the developer could make it so that it was just a setting.
    Which I like much more then using a hack.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

(To help things get back on topic: Charles made it clear elsewhere that the features that are requiring 'hacks' i.e. registry modifications are not finished and thus not officially supported yet, for the reason that there wasn't the time to get them finished and tested before the version 4 release. That they are even known about by anyone is because Xara kindly let us know. It's therefore a misdirection of anger to blame Xara for letting us know about them; in fact it's like biting the hand that feeds us for feeding us. Hopefully this should help understanding.)

I think it's admirable that the Xara management are prepared to publicly acknowledge these hacks and indeed the requests for these functions and improvements.

Can't imagine Adobe or Corel being quite that open about such matters.

I think that despite the odd criticism, they realise we are on their side. The critical comments are just a nudge in the right direction. The software looks like it's truly on the move again.

I'm just assuming that the Magix connection has really pushed sales of Xtreme forward, or at least they've decided to invest in development so that happens.

Wow... talk about OT... So where are the websites?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Well here are several I have started:

www.maulbetsch.com

www.esanabri.com/maquilados/index.htm

www.esanabri.com/brasv/index.htm

Simple but fast!

Esanabri,

Interesting sites, though I would have thought they were designed by at least two different people.

Paul

Talking Re: Show Us Your Website!

Thank you for the comments, I do not have any formal training and just love to do graphics (while keeping my day job)

I'll take it as a complement... I'm rather bad a self creating a design but very good at interpreting what somebody wants...

have two more coming this week, Xara just is the best thing for WEB-DESIGN in my perspective!