Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Default Re: Show Us Your Website!

Hi Laurent,

Better without that yellow!

I think your website is lacking a bit of pizazz though. I think it needs some text to really wow me into using your company - perhaps a few case studies, customer testimonials, etc.

The 'About us' section really needs some text rather than relying on people to click the glowing button.

It's pretty unusual to have a Logo on the right of a web page, simply because the place where western readers eyes settle first is the top left hand corner of the page.

Check out your competitors for some content and styling ideas!

Lastly, as a commercial website representing your company, consider (since this represents your company and will be a first port of call for many) whether using a professional designer might be a better use of resources leaving you free to pursue your customers.

Hope that helps (advice from a guy with a single page static website).

Paul
    Last edited by pauland; 28 April 2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: said 'right' when I meant 'left' LOL

Thanks Gary for your HTML workbook.
    Making website by XTREME 4.0 is much easier than my current software
    and save much of my time.

www.e-ashita.com/ohyama_en/ohyama_en.htm

Thank you Paul,

You are absolutely right on all accounts. If you put your mouse over the photos in the About Us page text about that individual will appear. Probably not a good idea if I have to explain it for people to see it. I was looking for a way to contain all the text in one page without having it say, 1200 pix long.

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by ldup View Post
    Thank you Paul,

You are absolutely right on all accounts. If you put your mouse over the photos in the About Us page text about that individual will appear. Probably not a good idea if I have to explain it for people to see it. I was looking for a way to contain all the text in one page without having it say, 1200 pix long.
    Hi Laurent,

IMHO You might consider using layers for the text, and giving some instruction to click or hover on the pix. That way you have each person's info show and be more readable, but not take up 4 scrolling pages.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Hi everybody,
    Long time lurker, first time poster.
    Anyway, I just purchased X4 and created my first website with it. www.daski.ca

Nothing fancy, I know, but dead easy and fast.

I had some problems with the background image of the water behind the text in that I just copied and pasted it in there and subsequently wound up with 4 copies of the same image when I exported. I didn't like this, so I went into the code and manually renamed them, but must have changed something else 'cause then things got really wonky. Anyway, I re-exported and fixed it, but was wondering if there's a way to make instances of an image so that the code refers to the single image upon export.

Nice Page Slingshot.
    Signed,
    Printchic
    Paintless Deco Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Katsu View Post
    Thanks Gary for your HTML workbook.
    Making website by XTREME 4.0 is much easier than my current software
    and save much of my time.

www.e-ashita.com/ohyama_en/ohyama_en.htm

People often ask me, “ What do you want to express in your paintings ? “

If you could put it into words, you wouldn`t have the need to put it in a picture. You would have written a poem.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Hi There. Not posted much before.

But I thought I'd share my work in progress website with you all. It's completely in Xara at the moment, although I'd love to be able to embed a google map.

It's for a holiday cottage we will shortly be renting out. Seems to me that Xara is absolutely ideal for a little project like this. I'm pleased with how it's turning out so far.

The idea of the design is that it matches the cottage decor - pretty simple and contemporary.

Quite a bit of the text is rough, and all the pictures, unfortunately, still reflect the look of a building site (the place is still not quite finished!), so I'm waiting for completion and furniture to be in to do the real photos. There are a couple of areas of interaction: the layout of the house and the gallery.

I'd love any thoughts, but things I am specifically worried about:

On the Layout page, the mouseovers don't always seem to work quite right (sometimes there will be two highlighted at the same time). I assume this is because my active areas are generally diamonds (although I have made sure they don't overlap). Is this effect going to cause me problems on non-IE browsers?

Any comments on file sizes? Does it take an age to load?

Is there any way to mess around with the source to embed a GoogleMap mashup on the directions page. I've got the code from google, set to be the same size as the relevant bitmap.

I tried to use a bullet from Wingdings or somesuch font on the features page (a square), but it hasn't worked. Even on my own machine where the font is installed. Do I have to use other fonts (which means a round bullet) or drawing an actual square to get this effect?

Here is the site: www.pearlcottage.co.uk

Regards

Lee
    Last edited by leemcg; 01 May 2008 at 09:16 PM.

Nice one Lee I think you've got the design just right. Page loaded quickly. Can't help with GoogleMaps [someone here will though I'm sure], as for the mouseovers I've found that having similar names - e.g. buttonone, buttontwo, etc - can cause doubling-up and even stop the behaviour from working.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Hi Lee
    I think your home page picture should be of the outside of the cottage. My eyes immediately went to the row of ? portable dressing rooms?? outhouses?? and questioned whether or not one of those was what you were renting out.

For your house layout you used an elevation, it gives me claustrophobia because there is only one doorway shown.

Otherwise it seems very nice
    Last edited by Judi A; 01 May 2008 at 10:20 PM.