Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: Xtreme 4 - another update

Your welcome. Hope that gets you up and running .
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Talking Re: Xtreme 4 - another update

Everything is fine now as far as I can tell. Thanks again, Bruce!

Default Aligning - Re: Xtreme 4 - another update

Quote Originally Posted by timhines View Post
    I don't wish to appear ungrateful, and much as I'm pleased to see the "Bounds of back object" option, I would rather see a "Bounds of last selected object" option.
    I agree, this is the most practicable option for aligning I have ever encountered. Every other option seems to require moving bits and pieces around either before of after executing the alignment.
    If it is a problem, that it might be against a design dogma, please offer such a setting as an option for the "fearless and bold" ( or for the "needy"; unfortunately have align all the time). That would be very much appreciated!!
    Last edited by lutz; 21 May 2008 at 08:33 PM.

Default Re: Aligning - Re: Xtreme 4 - another update

Yes, "Bounds of last selected object" is used in other software and gives the user an easy way to set alignment. "Bounds of back object" option seems rather bizarre.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post

A subtle feature of the Align option is that the Scale Line Widths button on the Selector Infobar controls whether the alignment is to the center line or the outer edge of the object including the line thickness. With the Scale Line Width option selected, (the normal case) then the align option will use the center-line outline of the shape, (the same as you see in outline mode) ignoring line thickness. If un-selected then the alignment will be calculated to the edges including any line thickness..
    Charles,

Nice, something I mentioned as a possible choice in the alignment menu when I requested a packing/stacking feature added to the alignment methods. There's still that requested option to implant :-) It was already available in DrawPlus on Risc Os many years ago and added to ArtWorks later on.

Ernst Dinkla

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Yes, "Bounds of last selected object" is used in other software and gives the user an easy way to set alignment. "Bounds of back object" option seems rather bizarre.
    Paul
    I assume, nobody at Xara is aligning anything? Well, more likely, the old way has become so ingrained that nobody ever actually tried the "Bounds of back object" function. This approach is indeed bizarre and more importanly it is an unecessary big hassle. Is anybody voluntarilly using it?

(why re-invent the wheel when a perfectly usable solution is already implemented almost everywhere else?)

Quote Originally Posted by lutz View Post
    ... the "Bounds of back object" function. This approach is indeed bizarre and more importanly it is an unecessary big hassle. Is anybody voluntarilly using it?)
    I am, and I'm very grateful to have it.

I've been asking — well, "begging" would be more accurate — for Align to Selected Object for years. Although it's not ideal, Bounds of Back Object is a big step in the right direction. Considering how long it's taken Xara & Co to get this far on the feature, my guess is that Align to Selected Object is something that's not easily implemented in Xtreme's coding.

Although it's not the way many of us are accustomed to working in other apps, Bounds of Back Object is sufficient for my needs more often than not, and it has significantly decreased the number of steps I have to take to get things lined up properly.

Allsion >>

The bounds option. I use it and find it very helpful.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer