Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xtreme 4 - another update

..but I bought the Pro Version 3.2 i believe late in 2007
    Doesn't matter when you bought Pro 3.2 - the upgrade to Pro 4.0 is only $49 (for the period of the introductory offer).

Hello Charles ,

Can you please tell when do you plan the next update for 4.0 and will there be minor fixes only?

I don't know about the new functionality for I personally don't use it, but a lot of simple basic features are broken.
    My work slowed down considerably for I have to find workarounds for simple things, create support tickets every couple of days, and Xtreme 4.0 destroyed three of my projects while saving, so now I have to backup every step.
    I didn't have such experience neither with 2.0 nor with 3.2 versions.
    So after three weeks of testing I finally gave up and had to switch back to 3.2.

I just don't know whether to continue to wait for a stable version or just relax and go on with 3.2... and maybe check 5.0 one day.

Sorry you're having bad luck, after following your previous thread and then reading your post #24 here, I was assuming you were all happy again

How many 'different' issues are you having with version 4 ?
    If you can post any sample files here, there's a chance someone can help

Yes I was all happy, and many thanks to Suvek for that, but that was only one file, and I spent several days trying to restore it while my customers were waiting.

I have lots of issues, the most irritating are:
    - Paste in place is broken. Objects are inserted far away from drawing edges
    - Gradient fill on the group is broken (only one object changes the color when you modify the gradient fill on the group)
    - Colot picker works wrong, when you try to pick color from lines and strokes (i doesn't feel the line widths)
    - gradient fills are very unstable now. For some reason 'start' and 'end' colors were introduced and in the case of multuple-point gradient fills you never know which handle is active if you select one (it's mostly about intermediate handles)
    - Undo sometimes "jumps" my drawing in some direction especially if it was zoomed in and I have to find where I was working. It's not a big deal but when it's happening over and over again...
    - Undo sometimes just doesn't work
    - When you change the object or line color with Color Picker, sometimes (pretty often) it doesn't work. To reactivate it you have to deselect object then select it again, change it's color randomly by picking some color in Color editor (to ensure it's ok now) and only after that you can use Color Picker again.
    - I tried 3D extrude tool and among some strange behaviour with rotating angles and light sources display, it successfully crashed the appication. So I refused to test it further for I don't need it actually.
    - applying Live Effects often leads to program crash. Ok that issue is from 3.2 version but 4.0 seems to corrupt every file that was saved with "Continue and save" feature. I had three such crashes during the testing period and three files are ruined. One was happily recovered with Suvek's utility.

That's only things I've remembered without looking to my notes. Of course I'm not moaning only, I create tickets to support team, with test files to reproduce the bugs and the support team tells some of the bugs are fixed in the next release. That's why I ask when the next update is planned, just to look if things go right now.

Some bugs are not easy to reproduce on simple test files for they appear accidentally, maybe depending on drawing size, maybe on work session duration, maybe on something else, I just don't know.

I myself love Xtreme and popularize it on my site and among my friends, and the last month's feedback I got was "that's rather buggy". Of course people who stick to Illustrator or CorelDraw tend to critisize something they are not used to... but these days I have to say "it's buggy" myself though I consider Xtreme one of the best graphic software.
    Last edited by Centaurus; 25 April 2008 at 07:55 AM.

Centaurus, it sounds to me that all of these problems might be related to a computer memory problem or even overheating.
    -=Bob=-

Bob, I don't think so. I don't see any strange behaviour that is common for all the application. Computer hardware problems would affect not only Xtreme 4.0.

I have several version of Xtreme installed on this computer, from 2.0 to 4.0.
    And those problems are only with Xtreme 4.0. Previous versions has some bugs but I got used to them, there are not so many.

Moreover, after one of my colleagues installed 4.0 and worked with it for a couple of hours, he immediately reported some of this problems (color picker, undo behaviour, gradients).
    And I did not even tell him there were some.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    Centaurus, it sounds to me that all of these problems might be related to a computer memory problem or even overheating.
    Agreed, I haven't seen anyone else report any of these issues!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi Centaurus,

I'm interested in your - Paste in place is broken. and two Undo problems, I'm not seeing any bad behaviour here and I use those two functions a lot.

Can you give me any insight to your typical workflow where these issues seem to cause you problems?

Hello Steve,

"Paste in place is broken" bug is confirmed by the support team, so they're able to reproduce it.
    It usually happens when I copy an object (a complex object normally, a group with LiveEffects maybe) and paste it into another drawing, expecting it to appear at the same place, but it appears far far away from boundaries. If I zoom-zoom-zoom out my drawing, I'm able to see it. Drawings are of the same dimensions.

Concerning Undo problem: I don't know when it happens for I press Undo rather often and can't keep a track on which steps I have performed by the moment.

But I noticed it happens sometimes when I select an object and try to change it's color with Color editor. Often I don't check if the fill color or line color is selected in Color dialog, so the wrong color type is changed (I want a fill color, but a line color is modified). That I press Undo and nothing happens. I have to change the color back manually.

Concerning Undo "jumping" - I just don't know. I usually open 2 views of a document, one is of actual size and other one is zoomed in. And sometimes when I press Undo working in zoomed-in view, the zoomed document jumps to some direction so I have to scroll it back to the place. In fact I don't even know if Undo works correctly in this case, for it jumps away and I can't see if something has changed actually.

Have you looked at the settings on your Options page and also the Document Info to see your undo size?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	48330  
    -=Bob=-