Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bug in export options window

I find this topic very confusing. Changing screen resolution but keeping 96 ppi I can follow. But changing to a 1600 x 1200 pixel resolution then changing to 120 ppi scaling appears to me to be just messing about with the same values but from different ends. We can have 12 inches to the foot but we can vary the size of the inch!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I find this topic very confusing...
    Yes, it is. The best I can figure is that this 96/120 value only affects box sizes and text in Windows--it doesn't affect bitmaps at all. If it is set at 96, then a box or text that would be 1" at 96ppi will take up 96 pixels. If it is set to 120, the text or box will take up 120 pixels. In either case, a 96 pixel bitmap will still display at 96 pixels across, and it is this that causes havoc.

As witnessed in this thread, there are several that find the 96 setting to be too hard to read comfortably for all the texts. I am among that group. To be told that we shouldn't touch that setting doesn't come across in the best light, when it does improve the computer experience for us.

Interestingly, that window doesn't get cut off on my system. It does show the bitmaps at the wrong resolution though--they aren't crystal sharp, probably because they are incorrectly taking into account the 96/120 issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	48114  

I got more and more confused as David didn't have this problem, so I started experimenting.

I tried it on my home PC as well, which has a 4:3 screen. No problems here on either 96 or 120 dpi. I suppose Xtreme somehow messes up because I have a widescreen monitor at work. (16:10 instead of 4:3)

So, forget about strange dpi which won't fit 12 to a foot, and go metric.

Anyone else with a widescreen have the same problem?

Anyone else with a widescreen have the same problem?
    Screen scaling a wide-screen LCD should be no different than the former 4:3 ratio screens provided you stick to the LCD native resolution.

I have 24" LCD's which I normally run at 96 dpi scaling. However for this test I changed to 120dpi at the native res' of 1920x1200 and then ran Xtreme4.

There were no windows/dialogs or controls that were truncated or mis-sized at all. Each was gracefully adhering to the newly set 120 dpi scaling.

One thing, in the bitmap export window, 100% is not the same as 1:1 which if you hover your mouse over you will see correctly states 'Zoom to resolution of image'.

Also checking through other software while in the 120dpi state, I noticed that they all seem to handle it well, the only issues I saw immediately were the task bar quicklaunch icons and 'some' icons in the notification area were ugly and pixelated. Even the ObjectDock I use as a launcher was unaffected by the scaling change.

Attached is a .xar showing screenshots of the various Xtreme4 windows.

As I say, this is how I experience a change to 120 dpi on my 24" wide-screen LCD running at native resolution of 1920x1200.
    I still prefer 96dpi though
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 19 April 2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Hm. I guess I'm unique in this then.
    Perhaps a couple of strong drinks tonight will help clear things up...

Yes that will work fine! At least until tomorrow morning
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host