Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: XaraXtreme 4 - lack of vector anti-aliasing levels - HELP!

It is still possible to copy all shape layers to one [or a set of] dummy layers but.....

a) the dummy layer[s] would have to substitute for wireframe which they might or might not

b) it is a really awkward way of working

Think I'd be inclined to stick to 3.2 for this particular task....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint View Post
    How about bringing in the vector object, resizing it to the size of your will be working at (resized to match the bitmap underneath). E.g.

Then again, maybe I have misunderstood the issue, and a visual is needed?

Love these posts - there's "always one more use" that nobody thought of.

I'm sure there are other solutions also - people might be struggling with understanding your workflow.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes the workflow is perhaps unusual, it's a "style" that has been developed over 5 years of Xara use, hence it causes a big panic when suddenly it seems out of date and back to square 1!

Yes unfortunately the visual of the bitmap and wireframe are needed at the same time, and as is the ability to rapidly flick back and forward between the 2, as you incrementally work on the drawing, constantly checking to make sure that objects are the right size and in the right place, and "look right" when the wireframe is viewed at full quality. I spend a lot of time sliding up and down the quality bar it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by kaputnik View Post
    Yes unfortunately the visual of the bitmap and wireframe are needed at the same time, and as is the ability to rapidly flick back and forward between the 2.
    Doesn't my workaround (+ bonus of being able to alternate the outline) do just that? Seeing one or the other - use layers?

Still struggling to understand it seems.

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 15 April 2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Some spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint View Post
    Doesn't my workaround (+ bonus of being able to alternate the outline) do just that? Seeing one or the other - use layers?

Still struggling to understand it seems.

Risto
    It would for a single step, but each time you tweak an object, you'd have to create a fresh bitmap when you want to see how it sits relative to all the other objects. in your drawing...

you know the more I think about this the more I think its bad news - it means that no reference drawings are going to work in wireframe view - what?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by kaputnik View Post
    I spend a lot of time sliding up and down the quality bar it seems.
    It suppose it might save a little time if you set a hot key for each view setting you need? (Utilities -> Customize key short-cuts)

Also, is using 'New View' useful at all? One window set to Outlines (wireframe) and the other set to VHQ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	customise.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	47954  

Steve, i think that will not work.
    If i understood correctly, kaputnik needs both the outline and the reference images visible at the same time in the same view.
    Version 4 simply doesnīt allow that. And this may be necessary for complex tracing, where a lot of shapes with fills and transparency lay above the reference images. This is a missing feature from v3.2. This isnīt related with anti-aliasing, literally speaking. Itīs related with the ability to have bitmaps displayed while we work in outline mode.

A new option in the view tab, bitmap section, to activate the display of bitmaps in both outline modes would solve this.
    Last edited by MEB; 15 April 2008 at 10:50 PM.

One workaround is to place your bitmaps on a top layer, and give them ~40% transparency (or whatever level you find works for you), and then lock that layer. Then do all your vector work on layers underneath that, and toggle the top bitmap layer off when you want to concentrate on how the vector version looks. Maybe have another top copy of the bitmap layer with no transparency, to toggle on and off for reference.

Kaputnik,

Ok, I get it now... After a few more explanations...

Never have I thought of working that way, but I wish I would have! It's brilliant when tracing something! Being able to layer shapes on top of (or under) shapes (on top of a bitmap) and sample colours (through the shapes) from the bitmap, without having them getting filled (and covering things), is so very fast!

I can understand why you are frustrated with your whole tracing workflow being wiped out, and of course my "workaround" doesn't work - ignore.

Sorry for the confusion.

Risto