Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Xtreme Suggestions

Yep - sounds like a job for our TG friend Dmitry Malutin (Author of XXTUNE)

Thanks Steve that I will find useful

I really should get round to a proper trawl of the xara registry - one day..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by PatentGuy View Post
    I agree. There are many different types of users of Xara products. Likewise, there are many different workflows, and some workflows are great for some users, but not for others....

... I believe software should fit the way people work, not the other way around.
    How do you reconcile these two statements? Clearly it would be impossible to fit the "many different workflows" you mention. I am actually completely in the other camp. I am more than happy to adapt to the way a well-designed application functions. i.e. I see less value in a jack-of-all-trades over a master-of-one. The more you try and cater to multiple workflows, the more you compromise each.
    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I can't get worked up about the other issue - it seems neither here nor there to me...
    Really? It is far and away my no. 1 gripe. It is such a simple thing that has come up previously but it is still the only application I can think of that does it. Every single time I start Xara, I have to go through the ritual of changing the file type drop-down manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    - my file manager (Explorer+, which allows me to either sort by extension or filter for an extension).
    Windoze Explorer does precisely the same. I used to use ACDSee but I got sick of it and since moving back to Explorer I've found it perfectly useful, especially in Vista.
    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    actually I like it the way it is - [I think I already said that]
    I prefer the way it is in PhotoPaint. The default is the same as Xara but it remembers your last choice from the drop-down, which supports everyone.
    I often open image files
    I find that files like Targa, which always give an error, still open when you import but not when you open them, so I never open anything but .xar files.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The default DPI for creating bitmap copies can be set in this key:
    Isn't that what the Option under "Effects & Plugins" does?

Anyhoo, I really just wanted to add my voice to the .xar file issue. It bugs the hell outta me because I'm always shutting down and restarting to give maximum space to other applications.

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    Isn't that what the Option under "Effects & Plugins" does?
    Hi BONES,
    Those DPI options are explained in the Help file:

Default Live Effect resolution
    If a Live Effect resolution is set to Automatic, then any Live Effects on an object will, by default, be produced at screen resolution. If you wish to print your design you can set one Live Effect to a higher DPI and all effects on that object (as long as the other effects are set to automatic) will automatically be rendered at the highest DPI. It won't then be necessary to alter each effect one by one. Or you can set a different default in this window, and all Live Effects will be created at that resolution.

Default Locked effect resolution
    This is the default resolution for locked effects. If you wish to change the DPI of a locked effect, you need to recreate that effect. Please note: this only applies to locked effects, and does not apply to a locked Live Effect.

Hi Bones

Re your last point - I see steve has given you the references - this affects live effects not ctrl+shift+c bitmap copies
    The dpi when auto generated option in view tab has no effect on bitmap copy either

As for your other comments on my posting I can only refer you to the following which covers it very well I think

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    I am more than happy to adapt to the way a well-designed application functions. i.e. I see less value in a jack-of-all-trades over a master-of-one. The more you try and cater to multiple workflows, the more you compromise each.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...