Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default keyboard hotkey space bar in 4.0?

What's the way to fix the keyboard hotkey shortcut so space goes back to the selector tool and lets you alternate it just like it worked for 3.0. This is Xara 4.0 I'm working with. I'd even tried editing the batch file of that fix for 3.2 on the support site. Doesn't work from what I can see.

<spacebar-pushtool rant>
    Despite being common with other apps, with xara, as long as you have a middle mouse button, there's no reason to match that shortcut with photoshop. Photoshop is lame and all adobe apps are because they don't let you move the canvas via middle-mouse.

middle-mouse move canvas is one of best additions to productivity you can have with applications.
    </spacebar-pushtool rant>

arrgh.

Default Re: keyboard hotkey space bar in 4.0?

This is one of the first things I changed when I upgraded.

In XP4, goto the Utilities menu and select Customize key short cuts...

In the list on the left side of the dialog, scroll down until you find "Toggle to Selector Tool." You will see that it is currently set to be Alt+S and that the entry above it uses the space key.

You can change the Alt-S to space, or add a short-cut so that either Alt-S or Space will toggle the selector tool.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

Hmm, strangely, yet another reboot has solved my issue. The Keyboard shortcut batch file change from 3.2 DID in fact work so that my space bar toggles the selector tool rather than the push tool.

if you open the the 3.2 keyboard hotkey fix mentioned in other postings, it comes in a zip file. inside is a batch file and a replacement ini file. The batch file is directed to the wrong place. You need to open the batch file and change the path where it's going to replace the hotkey.ini file. Follow the path from C:/documents and settings/your user name/..... etc so that you get the path corrected where it goes.

but I'll warn you, it could be that the files aren't compatible across the gamut of hotkeys so I might have lost something when using that old one for 4.0.

cheers!

mike

Michael - I couldn't agree more about middle mouse push - that combined with wheel zoom and the space bar toggle

PG - I think you need the ini file fix to get the spacebar toggle back to how it used to be - ie press space bar and keep pressed you are in selector tool, release spacebar and you are back in the tool you were in before

As far as I know that precise behaviour cannot be done with the customise key short cuts - it requires two keystrokes to toggle

sometimes that is more useful - but mostly I prefer the first
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

A small observation: when saving the .ini file, the default destination to save into is My Documents - but the path for the My Documents folder appears to have been hardcoded as c:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents - it's not using the actual path for My Documents

(ie I have changed the location of My Documents to be at E:\Docs\ so they are stored on a different disc from the OS, but Xtreme still opens the original location.)

noted thanks
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    PG - I think you need the ini file fix to get the spacebar toggle back to how it used to be - ie press space bar and keep pressed you are in selector tool, release spacebar and you are back in the tool you were in before

As far as I know that precise behaviour cannot be done with the customise key short cuts - it requires two keystrokes to toggle

sometimes that is more useful - but mostly I prefer the first
    I haven't touched my ini file. All I did was use the Customize Key Shortcuts menu option to chage the Space Bar to toggle between the selector tool and another tool. Works fine for me (I am using XtremePro 4.0).

I can press and release the Space Bar to switch between the selector tool and the last tool used. Also, when I am using a tool, I can hold down the Space Bar to switch to the selector tool to select another object or to move the current object. When I release the Space Bar, I am back using my last tool.

In XXP3 there was a standalone shortcut program to redefine the Space Bar (and other keys) to work like it did in previous versions. Version 4 just incorporated that feature inside the main program.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

If you dont have PRO the .ini file is the only option.
    Version 4 just incorporated that feature inside the main program
    I dont think that's true. As far as I am aware V3.2 and V4 work just the same in this regard.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 11 April 2008 at 05:51 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

PG - yes got it - must have messed it up and mis-keyed first time - thanks for the clarification
    Nothing lasts forever...