Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default IE7 Xara 4 issue

First let me pre-empt this by saying, I love this programme. Seriously. The flash export is a great addition. I can scarcely believe some of the gripes that have been on this forum over the last wee while. I’ve been using Xara for professional projects for the last couple of years and for all sorts. Mainly print. In the few days since Xara 4 was released I’ve turned round two web sites for two happy clients. No manuals, no hair pulling. Fast and good. Rant over.

I created this site, all drawn in Xara. I’m quite chuffed with it. Can you tell? My problem is this however. Whenever I load the site into IE7 from the web. Not from my hard drive just the web. The browser refers to images which appeared in previous versions of my test site. No amount of forced refreshes, cache clearances do anything. I get pages like this on my screen.

http://www.hamish.plus.com/Capture.JPG

The big green and blue blobs were earlier versions of buttons. I had the same problem with a white box appearing where a duff flash file once was. Any suggestions?

More power to your elbow Xara.
    Last edited by hamishmacd; 10 April 2008 at 11:02 PM.

Default Re: IE7 Xara 4 issue

Looks fine in IE7 from here.
    Try another monitor? (..just kidding)

Have you tried using ccleaner?

Did the prev site use html or htm files?xara uses htm instead of html
    they sometimes get s**d up
    did you just simply overwrite the old files?

Sometimes the htm and swf gets mixedup at uploading,as you were using a swf file

better make a fresh upload,clear and delete every file before the new

Hans

Works OK in IE7 here too
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

When something like this happens on one of my pages, I manually enter the URL to the image in question to see what it looks like, and then try to refresh that. (Ditto if some javascript or CSS file doesn't seem to be having any effect). Usually that gives it the kick in the pants it needs to realize that the file is different.

I'm not sure that will actually help you, though. Someone else mentioned something similar also using IE7 (unless that was you in a different thread. ) so there may be no remedy. It could be some weird hinky quirk in IE7. Perhaps worth a shot though.

Sharp looking page, by the way!
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

I also used the link to the Xara-made page from within the frameset and that worked fine in IE7 as well.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Looks good in Safari too...

Actually, I find the font of the main text hard to read - in IE7 as well as in Opera. It seems to be anti-aliased too strongly.
    I also cannot recognize what kind of device it is, that is showing the pictures.

Perhaps it is just me. ;-)
    Last edited by lutz; 11 April 2008 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'd tried everything you suggested last night to no avail. This morning however all was well. I'm assuming that it was an issue with my ISP not refreshing itself quickly enough or something.

Odat, it was me in the previous post. I never got to the bottom of that one as, unlike this issue which was resolved overnight, it went on for two days but now I've changed the site anyway so all is fine.

Lutz, I agree with your critisism that the text is quite heavily anti-aliased. I think it's because I grouped the text because I liked the font. But you're right. That was just lazy and bad for accessability so I've changed it to good ol' Tahoma. I've also put a big 'video guest book' at the top of the page to make it clearer what the machine does.

Thanks everyone.

Glad you got it all sorted out!
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.