Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Shape editor tool, dragging only some nodes

There must be a shortcut, faster way....please help by telling me how.

I have drawn an object that has multiple nodes.
    Cloned it a few times and moved the others to their proper places.
    All pieces will have the same overall shape, but in different sizes.

The important thing is that the upper left corner remains identical on each.

- Can not remain identical if I just use the drag handles to make larger/smaller. It distorts the upper left corner to make it proportional with the size of the object. Great for some things, but not for this.
    - Tried selecting some nodes and dragging but the line between nodes but that curves the line between nodes (as expected) instead of dragging the nodes where I need them.
    - I have been selecting nodes and using the down arrow or right arrow to nudge the nodes a bit at a time as necessary. But sometimes I need this shape much longer and it takes forever to nudge the nodes. Is there a faster way to nudge/drag those nodes than using the arrow keys? Looked through my keyboard shortcuts and did not find it.

Also....Q and AltQ are clipview applied or removed.
    Can this be made into a toggle type option so we can assign one keyboard assignment for on and off like some other options? Didn't see a way to create a toggle.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Default Re: Shape editor tool, dragging only some nodes

Hi Sam, you must already know this but just in case you can hold shift while nudging with arrow keys, this will move in larger steps.

I hope someday transformations and alignment operations will work on nodes.

Hope this helps,

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by coco View Post
    Hope this helps,Marc
    Me too, Mark.

With the nodes visible, and the shape editor tool selected, drag a selection marquee around the nodes you want to move to select. Click on one of the selected nodes and drag. All the selected node will move, the unselected one(s) will stay put.

- Andrew

Thumbs up Re: Shape editor tool, dragging only some nodes

Originally Posted by coco View Post
    Hope this helps,Marc
    My vote for this too.

you must already know this but just in case you can hold shift while nudging with arrow keys, this will move in larger steps
    Thank You! I had done this a while back and could not for the life of me remember how. This is still slow on this file, but a definitely better than just the arrow alone.

With the nodes visible, and the shape editor tool selected, drag a selection marquee around the nodes you want to move to select.
    Yes, have been doing this.
    Then once selected I have been pressing down arrow to slightly nudge.

Click on one of the selected nodes and drag. All the selected node will move, the unselected one(s) will stay put.
    And we have a winner!
    Huge difference in speed to adjust using this method.
    All the assistance has been very appreciated!
    Since my boss doesn't want me to dance at my desk, this is the closest I can come: http://samisite.com/forum/Smileys/sammod/ss-boogie.gif
    Last edited by samrc; 10 April 2008 at 06:00 PM.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Quote Originally Posted by coco View Post

I vote for it too !!!

kindly,
    ivan

would you mind posting a sample file of the files you want the upper left hand corner to stay in place with?

Have you tried selecting all the objects that need the same origin and using the top lefthand box in the "set origin position" buttons on the selector tool infobar. The objects I used to test An oval and a couple rectangles seemed to work okay...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

The file is more than 20mb so that would not work to post it. I made a simple sample of what I mean.

Each of the shapes I was using is in a different place on the document so they do not share a common fixed origin or even overlap in any way. The sample is overlapped for space. They actually start as the same shape and I keep the nodes in the upper left corner and just adjust the rest to fit the size I need. The answer I was given before works great for me.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Samantha