Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Default How do I pop-up to show a larger pic?

I made a quick test page at http://www.carcreditnh.com/wernertest.htm

The idea is to mouse-over the picture and have a larger pic show up.

The larger pic is only showing within the confines of the smaller one.

I'm using the web address feature with the layer i called 'mouseover'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bobby Harris
    Bradford, MA
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Default Re: How do I pop-up to show a larger pic?

To do a pop up you link either a photo or a button to another image on its own layer. So for example say you have a button and when the visitor mouses over that button a larger image appears. The image that appears needs to be on its own layer. If the Layer is named BigPhoto then in the web address link window, enter BigPhoto.

Gary

(This is covered in the release notes.) Objects on a mouse over layer only appear within the confines of the object mouse-overed. You could use a popup layer instead which reveals the entire layer, or you could put an invisible object around the mouseover object to effectively increase the boundary to be revealed. Again, this is all covered in the release notes. Now I admit, the release notes on this topic aren't the best for learning and are really for reference; when learning, I also struggled to figure a few things out. I may write a tutorial about website creation one day; I don't have the enthusiasm at the moment, so it wont happen anytime soon unfortunately.

That's what I did. I have 2 layers. 'Layer1' has everything you see initially.

'mouseover' has JUST that photo, sized around 400 x 600 ready to go.

When you mouse-over the 1st photo, it does show the new layer, but only the part of it that appears within that first photo you mouse'd over.
    (mouseover'd ????)

Anyway - that's what's happening.

Thanks,
    -Harris
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

I think you need to use a "popup" layer not a "mouseover" layer. As Xhris said "Objects on a mouse over layer only appear within the confines of the object mouse-overed"
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

'mouseover' is just the name of the layer

The help file says the following
    ==================
    Popups
    The second method is more powerful. A popup is implemented by simply adding a link to an object and setting that link to be the name of a layer. When you mouse-over the object, the associated layer is displayed.

For example, to make a photo change from black and white to full color when the mouse pointer is over it:

Position and size the original photo as required. Copy it to the clipboard.
    Click the white color on the Color Line to make it a black & white photo.
    Add a Web Address link to the photo by right clicking on it and choosing "Web address...". Set the URL field to the name of the layer you will create next. e.g. "Photo1MouseOver".
    Create a new layer with this name e.g. "Photo1MouseOver", in front of the layer containing the original photo.
    Paste the photo into the new layer from the clipboard. It can be anywhere on the page, or use "Edit -> Paste in place" to place the copy exactly on top of the old one.
    Now when you export and mouse over the black and white copy, it should display the full color copy.

You can have as many popups as you like in your design, each on its own layer. But always make sure that the popup layer is in front of, not behind, the layer or layers which reference it.
    ==================

This is what I did except that instead of changing the color, I made the photo larger.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

The above comments are correct. For each large version photo, create a new layer e.g. called Photo1, then just add a Web Address link 'Photo1' to the original small version of the photo on the original layer.

Also a tip. Those photos should be JPG images to save space. They are PNGs right now which I don't really understand. But if you give them a name of 'JPEG' using the Label Tag icon on the Selector InfoBar they will be exported as JPGs.

Having said that the pop-up one might have to be PNGs still because you will want the background to show around them.

Also the black background 'shadow' effect would be a lot more effective using the Shadow Tool and giving them a soft shadow.

They're PNG files because that's what Xara creates when it generates the web page on export.

When the mouse passes over the small image it does change things, but the size of the resulting pic is cut off.

-Harris
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

I decided to try something a little different and start from scratch.

When all else fails, sometimes a revisit to the blank screen gives me clarity.

I erased everything and created 3 layers.

Layers:
    Mainpage
    smallcar1
    largecar1

NOW it does what I wanted. Maybe having the small car on the same layer as everything else was a problem. Not sure.

Now - can I somehow click each pic and have the big one stay there til I click a 2nd one and switch it?

http://www.carcreditnh.com/wernertest2.htm right now.

-Harris
    Last edited by dogbertbh; 09 April 2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: wanted to add link
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

The advantage of the "mouseover" layer is that it can contain many mouse over object results. So for example, you can have several buttons in a mouse over state on that one layer, and only the part of the layer corresponding to the object being mouse-overed is shown. It saves using many layers in other words, but is not always desired. This isn't as clear as it could be in the release notes for educational purposes (which may not be the purpose of the release notes granted, but it's what people turn to initially).
    Last edited by Xhris; 09 April 2008 at 05:37 PM.