Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panorama tool

Default Panorama tool

Is there a secret to using the Panorama tool?

I don't have many photos to try it with, but a few years ago I was standing on the top of a hill and took some photos with the intention of stitching them together. Of course, I never got around to it - but just now gave them a go in Xtreme Pro 4.

The colours and contrast of two pictures don't match the other three, but clicking 'Enhance' on them pretty much sorts them out. Using the Panorama tool though reverts them back to their unchanged state, and when they are stitched they look awful.

The top version is the automatic one, the bottom version is the automatic panorama output from the first three images, I skipped the second from the right and put the far right image in myself using transparency/feathering:

I was at the new St Pancras station on Saturday morning and I took a few pictures - I wish I took some more, because it did a great job of putting them together:

I've uploaded larger versions (2500 pixels wide) of the hillside view and of St Pancras station along with thumbnails of the original individual photos, and have uploaded the .xar of the hillside pictures in case anyone wants to play with the nearly-stitching.

Anyone had any better luck with pictures like my hillside one? Even using 'Enhance' in the photo tool, saving a bitmap copy and deleting the original (absolutely not the point of the Photo tool, I know, but I wanted to 'force' the Panorama tool to use the enhanced/balanced images), then trying the Panorama with the 'enhanced' one doesn't give as good a result as you might expect. I'm sure it's possible, because the station output is pretty good.

Default Re: Panorama tool

You may need to make bitmap copies of the enhanced versions and use those?

Not used Panorama tool, but I have noticed that the bitmap tracer works on the original and not the photo tool enhanced version and I need to make a copy of it first.

[unlike with xpe where the enhanced version was used]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

If after editing the photo, you optimise it using the new optimise feature, it will create a bitmap copy (CBC) replacing the original which the stitcher will use. Optimise is slightly different from CBC; I'm sure they could be combined in the future.

I have had pretty good luck with the tool being premitted to adjust the pictures on it's own. It is not as good as a fisheye lens, but it does a decent job. See Attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rimrockpics.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	47670  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

I was quite impressed with the test that I ran. It seemed to stitch the photographs together seamlessly.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Jungfraujock, Switzerland last June. The stitcher couldn't position #4 in the proper vertical alignment.

Great job on the first three especially considering the people were moving and the cloud-shadows changed rapidly.

Name:	Jungfrauyock, Switzerland.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	47676  
    Last edited by jclements; 09 April 2008 at 03:30 AM.

Some of the frames shown below (especially the two or three on the bottom-right) I thought would work but nothing really did the trick.

Name:	Jungfraujock 2.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	47678  
    Last edited by jclements; 09 April 2008 at 03:10 AM.

This one REALLY SURPRISED ME. I didn't think the autostitcher could handle the same man at different different distances and although one person, the lady in the middle was eliminated (I didn't like her anyway), the result was pretty miraculous in how it decided to maintain the cropping .... especially when compared to what I did manually.

Name:	Jungfraujock 3.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	47679  
    Last edited by jclements; 09 April 2008 at 03:28 AM.

I think that the autostitching AI gives quite an acceptable finish. Probably won't win any photography awards, But to someone who hasn't seen the originals, I think that the finished product is very good.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hope I'm not going overboard. Doing these brings back some awesome memories. This my daughter Kristin. Her graduation present from college was traveling together with me for 4 weeks from hostile to hostile. I met her in France after she finished her class in Spain on Hemingway, then we traveled to norhern Italy, Switzerland, and Germany. I only had a Nikon Coolpix with no viewfinder just a damn LCD display ... big mistake.

Name:	Wengen to Tram down to Lauterbrunnen Valley.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	47680