Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF Export Question

Whenever I export to PDF, I check the "convert text into shapes" in the PDF dialog box.

Is this accomplishing the same things as Xtreme's "convert to editable shapes" option or is there something else that I should be aware of?

I use the PDF option so that I don't have to worry about saving the .xar file with text converted to shapes by mistake and not being able to edit the text later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.gif 
Views:	257 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	45147  

Default Re: PDF Export Question

There has been some reported inconsitencies with checking that option on export.
    Typically what I do is to select all (Ctrl+A) and then convert all to editable shapes before exporting to PDF.

No need to save the .xar file in the converted state first. So you can Ctrl+Z undo, or simply close the .xar file and select 'don't save' from the 'closing document' popup.

As far as I know when you check that option your fonts are converted to outlines which is the same thing as Convert to Editable Shapes.

If you select that option then you can uncheck Use Unicode, etc. because it no longer pertains. On the other hand if you forget it is no big deal because the text is already converted to outlines.

Likewise, on the first tabbed section you can uncheck Font Subset.

Gary

Thank you both for the information. Very helpful. I'll keep this all in mind when creating PDFs.

Quick question on the topic - I am using Xara to create a contract which my clients can download, fill out, and upload back to me via email or as an attachment to an order.

I am having trouble with my PDF export - in that the document is not editable by my client.

Is there an easy way to restrict access to the contract text - but allow for editing within certain blocks on the form?

If anyone knows how to do this, or if this is possibel, I would appreciate it.

Cheers - happy Xara user...

Xtreme is not a substitute for Adobe Acrobat where editable fields can be created.

However there are third party PDF readers available which allow annotations and entering of text. Foxit Reader (freeware) is one such program.
    Perhaps your clients can download and use this ?