Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Creating backup file in version 4

I think the backup feature was turned off again in either the 16 April release or the one before it. People complaining about multiple backups, perhaps.

I certainly miss it, especially since XXTune doesn't work with X4, so I can't get *.bak files without going into the registry.

And yes, during their brief appearance, the automatic bak files were in the same directory as the xar file.

Thank you for the information. I look forward to the new backup feature in a future release once Xara gets it sorted out.

The backup feature has never been 'On' by default, as pointed out by Charles, so the latest version hasn't had this turned off - it's still a reg' setting which is there if you need to activate it.
    The registry setting was even in version 3.* - XXTUNE simply accessed the registry path and toggled it on for you, but as Charles mentioned, new to version 4 are multiple backups.
    XXTUNE doesn't work with Xtreme4 because the path to the setting is not the same, XXTUNE isn't 'forwards' compatible.

Perhaps a future version will include an option to limit how many backups are created before overwriting first backup.

Being the hacker nurd that I am, I would suggest to them that since for computers, 0 = no and anything not 0 = yes, they just modify things so that the numeric value of the registry key is how many backup files you want to keep.

Set it at 0, you get none. Set it at 1, you get a single file.bak file, set it at 2, you get file.1.bak and file.2.bak and so on.

That way people that like the old way and the new way (or the no way) are all satisfied for the time being while they work up the UI required to allow you to specify the filename format for the backup files, where they're stored, and so on.

But again, that's just the nurd in me talking..
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    ... I would suggest to them that since for computers, 0 = no and anything not 0 = yes, they just modify things so that the numeric value of the registry key is how many backup files you want to keep.

Set it at 0, you get none. Set it at 1, you get a single file.bak file, set it at 2, you get file.1.bak and file.2.bak and so on.

That way people that like the old way and the new way (or the no way) are all satisfied for the time being while they work up the UI required to allow you to specify the filename format for the backup files, where they're stored, and so on.
    Good idea Odat... sign me up.