Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Creating backup file in version 4

Changed registry key of "MakeBakFiles" to "1" and found bakup files are
    created with new file name every time at saving instead of overwriting
    original bak file.

For example file name as XaraX.xar makes first backup file as XaraX.bak
    then 2nd time makes it as XaraX.2bak, 3rd time as XaraX.3bak

Want to know how to change to make bak file name as original file name.

Regards
    Katsu

Default Re: Creating backup file in version 4

I think,though taking up space,a better way,as you can return to a previous version of your file

Hans

I like having numbering system as well. I think Katsu mistyped the format. I show: filename.1.bak

Although it would be nice if we could specify the format however we want, for example: in front of filename, behind filename, in front of extension. Use a leading zero .... 01, 02. Use the day's date... filename .040108-01 bak.xar, filename .040108-02 bak.xar which would allow the backup filenames to document the backup date and sort in that order (note, file dates can get changed when copied or moved on a server).
    Last edited by jclements; 08 April 2008 at 04:48 PM.

In v4 we changed the way the hidden backup feature works, so that it now creates a new backup every time you save. It's far from perfect and you have no control over the number of backups, which is why it's a hidden feature still. But for those that don't mind using the file space and want a record of everything saved, it can be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    It's far from perfect... which is why it's a hidden feature still.
    Is there anything available that documents all the "hidden features"??? :-)

Or one that documents the ...... errrrrr ........ undocumented ones.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

you mean like a sign post pointing to 'hidden' treasure
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Is there anything available that documents all the "hidden features"??? :-)
    Yeah, but it's in a hidden file in a hidden folder in a hidden directory and no one can find it!
    ~ DanDaBear ~
    Some people think inside the box, Some people think outside the box, I think about the box

Hi Charles,

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    In v4 we changed the way the hidden backup feature works, so that it now creates a new backup every time you save. It's far from perfect and you have no control over the number of backups, which is why it's a hidden feature still. But for those that don't mind using the file space and want a record of everything saved, it can be useful.
    I really do not like this new backup strategy. I backup a lot. In fact, I set the F12 key for backup (which I do in all the programs I use so that it becomes a single stroke no-brainer) to make it even faster. Whenever I do something that would take any time to replicate I do a backup. After reading your post I checked my most recent file and there were 18 files with 24MB of disk space. So now I have to do cleanup after every session or end up with lots of files. Backing up less is not an option for me.

If I have something interesting that I may want to return to later, I save it with another file name. It would be exceedingly tedious to go through all the accumulated backup files to find the latest version of that one jewel I wish to retain. Besides offering a safety net, now backing up becomes a maintenance burden.

If you want to retain this current backup strategy, perhaps you could include another registry flag that would specify the number of backups to retain. That would offer a lot of flexibility for many. Thanks for your time Charles. There is a lot to love in the new version of Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
    If you want to retain this current backup strategy, perhaps you could include another registry flag that would specify the number of backups to retain. That would offer a lot of flexibility for many. Thanks for your time Charles. There is a lot to love in the new version of Xara.
    I totally second that !!!
    Backups are important, but we should simply have the option of the "old" behaviour or the "new" one.

I don't think that this could be all that big to implement?

Wolfgang