Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XXP4 Outputting printer's marks to PDF: bug?

Can someone else test this, please?

When setting the bleed for a page to 0,2cm, then 0,3cm, 0,4cm etc., the printer's marks in the resulting PDFs are less and less visible until they become invisible starting with greater bleed setting. Also, in 3.2 version the crop marks were correctly beginning from the very edge of the page in the PDF, now the crop marks are offset from the edge, with their visibility depending on the bleed setting.

Update:
    When I set the Bleed margin to 0, and set to output the printers marks in Xara as well as in PDF export settings, the printer's marks are fully visible. So by setting the Bleed margin to some value, the printers marks in the resulting pdf are actually hidden proportionally to the specified value.

Update2:
    It seems that 3.2 was adding the bleed margin to the size of the document, when creating PDF (so PDF size was document+bleed with marks within the bleed), while Version 4 is adding marks size to the size of the document (so PDF size is document+marks with bleed within the marks, i. e. bleed overlapping marks with white space).
    Last edited by Josie; 07 April 2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Update

Default Re: XXP4 Outputting printer's marks to PDF: bug?

The greater the size of the bleed margin the less the crop marks are visible in the resulting PDF using version 4 thats for certain, not that I've ever been asked for more than 3 - 4mm bleed personally. I've uninstalled 3.2 so I can't comapare, though I never had any complaints but there again always 3mm bleed.

PDF has a strange rendering engine as well. I often find that unless you are at 1:1 zoom ratio, things may not look right. This is especially true with text.

How does the page look if you print it out from the PDF file? I have no complaints about Acrobat's print engine.

What I did was that I opened a file created in 3.2 with 1cm bleed from which I had previously many times successfully exported to pdf. Now I have done the export in V4 and, alas, no cropmarks visible.

Gary, I have not experimented too much with the new version and I have not even printed one page from it.
    What I've noticed, though, is that font embedding does not work right. Text set using Central European characters have those characters replaced with Western characters in pdf. Looks like a bug too.

I'll look closer at Xara PDF creation this week, perhaps. I also have an opportunity to do more research with Xara PDFs in the new Acrobat 9 that I'm testing for Adobe. If anything interesting comes out of it, I'll drop a line.
    Last edited by Josie; 07 April 2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    What I've noticed, though, is that font embedding does not work right. Text set using Central European characters have those characters replaced with Western characters in pdf. Looks like a bug too.
    Josie,

Do you have the latest (April 2nd) version? - I think that fixed some PDF font problems which were in the first release of 4.0.