Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poor HTML Rendering in Mozilla

I was playing around with the HTML editing over the weekend and, until I thought to compare with IE7, I thought it was not going to be very handy.
    http://www.novakill.com/stuff/HTMLexportProblem.png

You can see how badly the text renders in Mozilla, where th eIE7 version on the right is almost perfect. It also doesn't seem to like things like tab indents. Maybe you could have a text mode for HTML render - a button that you press when you are going to export the text as HTML text, so that functions that won't work will be disabled?

Default Re: Poor HTML Rendering in Mozilla

Hmm - I've not tried Mozilla (that is the *Mozilla Suite*) for years, but everything I have created and output as HTML so far, renders well in Opera 9.26 / FireFox 2.0.0.11 / FireFox 3 beta5 and IE7

Are you able to upload a sample .xar file ?
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 07 April 2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: clarify Mozilla in this context

I'm an idiot. I'm so used to thinking of it as Mozilla that I just typed that label without thinking. The right-hand image is most definitely Firefox 2.0.0.12.

firefox 2 now at version 13

firefox 3 [still beta] may fix this issue - I pass that info on as its not my field

you may wish to try?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Bones, can you attach your XAR file please so we can look into this problem?

Thanks

Neil

Sorry this took a few days but I have a head like a sieve! I think I made some changes after I exported it but it came from here originally.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Bones,

It does not render well in either IE 6 or FF 2.0.0.13, although it seems worse in FF.

I went to your site posted in your profile hoping to get an idea of what you intended it to look like. With all due respect, it is not very easy to read. Maybe it's just because I'm kind of an old guy, but I like legibility and ease of reading. The background and the font color make one work very hard to read the site, and it is so very busy.

I hope you don't mind my comments. As a person into making music myself, I really am pleased to see more music being put out into the world.

Regards,

Alan
    Regards,

Alan
    The unexamined life is not worth living--Socrates

Hi BONES,
    Thank you for the file. This may be a bug so I'll take a better look at it.

BTW Attached file is not finished, so all layers that are supposed to be rollovers are exported as is. So it looks ugly in every browser. But the real problem is in the exported text blocks. Those look well in IE and Opera, and are incorrect in FF.
    John.

Since ver.4 has come out I have done 2 Different page templates and tested both in all browsers and have had no problems but I am using Firefox 3. Will need to test both pages in the older version. Just had a quick look at the file and the reason for the bad display is the use of poor fonts. Also there is no URL address or statements in you mouse over or your sub menu did you not get an error when you tried to export as html?
    Last edited by Albacore; 11 April 2008 at 08:39 AM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

The rendering error is caused by Mozilla trying to fix up the broken markup Xtreme is producing.

In particular, it's writing spurious <a name="NEWStest"> elements all over the page. You can't put an <a> inside another <a> in HTML, so Mozilla is guessing you meant to close the first <a> when it encounters the second one. This screws up the DOM element nesting, and since Xtreme relies on nested absolute positioning to place every line of text, the lines go all over the place.

Xara shouldn't be using <a name> to reproduce the Xtreme names in the HTML document. To provide anchors it would be more sensible to apply an id="..." attribute to the <div> or other element corresponding to the object, but in general HTML IDs (including old-style <a name> anchors) are supposed to be unique within the document, so Xtreme names as they are don't map well to HTML IDs at all.
    Last edited by BobInce; 11 April 2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo