Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xtreme Pro 4 way too big!

Quote Originally Posted by Dón|Olivierč View Post
    I know what I am talking about, because I am part of the IT-business and I have learned to program.
    Thanks for that. I have printed it out and stuck to the door of my office.
    IP

................a single look on the wasted amount of harddrive-space after installation tells you the quality of the software..................
    Oh, and can you please tell me how much of the hard drive space is "wasted" after installation.

As far as I am aware all it tells you is how big the program is. There is absolutely no way you can tell the quality of a program by it's size. That's a patently absurd statement.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

andalucía · espańa and lower saxony · germany

Willdean, please try to be a tad more realistic. Arrogance is the wrong approach here.

Don't forget: the hard drive in my computer - however big or small - is **my hard drive** and **I** want to decide what will be installed there and why and when.

If you don't know how to respect the wish of a client/user, you've failed to do your homework, really.

And please don't hijack this thread - it's too important for me and I guess several other clients/users as well.

Thank you very much willdean for doing me this favor.

With kind regards / Con saludos cordiales / Mit freundlichen Grüssen

jens g.r. benthien
    industrial design & engineering
    photography & photo design
    tel: +34-649-086-913
    jens@sacalobra.com
    -------------------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--
    IP

It's difficullt to recognise Xtreme V4 - the well behaved software on my hard disc - in terms of the crticism levelled at it. It's not perfect, I've complained myself, but it's hardly the demon software that some would make out.

In my case I learned to program and then joined the IT business and I can say that most companies would be envious of the software produced by Charles & Co.

Bug reports for a beta program are hardly an unusual situation and to be expected. There is very little software out there that doesn't have bugs or usability issues and I would say that Xtreme is better than most software in this respect.

Paul
    IP

You can't always tell by program size.
    By THAT measure, most M$ products must be totally worthless!
    ~ DanDaBear ~
    Some people think inside the box, Some people think outside the box, I think about the box
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    As far as I am aware all it tells you is how big the program is. There is absolutely no way you can tell the quality of a program by it's size. That's a patently absurd statement.
    Sure, there is a direct relation between size and quality of a software. It is quite clear, that more features expand the size of a program, that's not the point, but be honest: isn't 116 MB for a software like Xtreme too much? In the past whole operating systems needs less space a did much more than Xtreme do. And this is the point! The size of Xtreme has no proportonality to its funcionality. And this is exactly what I mean: when a software has lost the proportonality between its size and its funcionality - it is poor written.

I have learned to program as storage wasn't as big as today. I've learned to think about an algorithm twice to make it strong and effecient. In that days we fought for every byte. I can remember that I use a CAD-software that days that fill a couple of KB and did alot 2D and 3D calculating and drawing! Much more than Xtreme can do today!

Another example: The software-program that drives the spacecraft voyager 2 is about 40KB. And what does it achieve in comparison to Xtreme! It drove this spacecraft out of our solar system!

So think about it! The problem of today is, that many, many software-companies put their software together in a rush and bloat it. There are no good designed algorithm, but Spaghetti-Code everywhere. The result are bugs and patches and patches and bugs and updates and upgrades and crashes and reinstallations and so on. We, the users accept that too easy, but in the end this is not good quality.

Unfortunately my english is very poor. I hope I could explain my thinking.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by DanDaBear View Post
    You can't always tell by program size.
    By THAT measure, most M$ products must be totally worthless!
    That's what it is! You all know about the quality of MS-Software - it is crap, oldfashioned crap! But the bad quality of MS and many other software-companies should not be a measure of software-quality. We should do it better.

And there are some companies, which do it better than MS. For example Mozilla and its Firefox. This is a great browser, much better than Internet Explorer and more secure and much more up to date and it is only half as big as the Internet Explorer.

Opera - another great browser - do it better than MS too. This browser is the securest and fastest today and it is only 33% as big as Internet Explorer and has much more features and better web-standards compatibility.

You can see it here too: bigger software in relation is in most cases worse. The Internet Explorer has the most bugs and security issues of all browsers and it is the biggest!

In most cases a software is bigger, because its code is worse.
    IP

In most cases a software is bigger, because its code is worse.
    This is not helpfull talk for this thread.
    I would like to see less volatility and bikkering.

If you wish to lighten the load, you can delete the movies from your installation which will relieve you of 91.2 MB of consumed HDD space.
    I don't think Help & Support can be regarded as bloated coding?

C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Xtreme Pro 4\HelpAndSupport\ENG (or your chosen language)

X1 didn't have Help & Support movies included.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 07 April 2008 at 05:00 AM.
    IP

Another example: The software-program that drives the spacecraft voyager 2 is about 40KB. And what does it achieve in comparison to Xtreme! It drove this spacecraft out of our solar system!
    NASA's budget could be a little bit larger than Xara's.

Xara is hiring new programmers, so if you can improve things, I'm sure we will all benefit. Personally, I would love a mac version of Xtreme.
    •Bob
    IP

...The problem of today is, that many, many software-companies put their software together in a rush and bloat it. There are no good designed algorithm, but Spaghetti-Code everywhere...
    Feel free to improve Xara's codebase yourself. Not many companies are willing to let you do that. (And I doubt you'll find much inelegance there if you look.)
    IP