Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Format to save in?

I can make up a page in Xtreme with all the animation, banners, etc but how do I save it to then import/paste/etc in Frontpage to have it cover the whole page with everything working?

I tried with just an extreme page using 2 colors and transparency to fade and exported it as a .jpg thinking I could use this as the background and then bring the other items in one by one but when I selected it in background I have several boxes with a copy of what I exported rather than covering the whole background.

Tks much - jb

Default Re: Format to save in?

Just took a look at V4 and it has "complete web page creation".

1- is this new to V4 or can it be done in V3.2?
    2- do you still have to take these pages to another program like Fpage to upload? If so, what format do you save them in?

Tks - jb

Hi Jeb,
    HTML export is new to version 4
    You can download the trial version of XaraXtreme 4 from the home page at www.xara.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	html.png 
Views:	192 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	47496  

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    2- do you still have to take these pages to another program like Fpage to upload?
    Jeb,

I wouldn't import them into Frontpage. I would just use a FTP application like Core FTP or WS FTP to upload them to the server.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

hi,
    But a caution I don't get the option on windows XP Home>SP2 version to export as "Website" HTML option, altho" Charles says it will be in shipped version as windows XP doesn't register the Wbsite xport dll file. Hope he is correct
    Jim

This appears fixed for the current DL (April 02) DL version. My screenshot above shows HTML export is available when installed on Windows XP SP2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	april02.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	47502  

Tks guys - I was told that FTP directly was the way to go. I have XP Pro so hopefully everything will work OK.

If I understand it, by saving in html, when I upload, everything I made up in Xtreme - animation, banners, fading, etc will upload and work, right?

Such a deal!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    I can make up a page in Xtreme with all the animation, banners, etc but how do I save it to then import/paste/etc in Frontpage to have it cover the whole page with everything working?
    Jeb,

Frontpage creates web files. As far as I am aware, you can't just import all the pieces into Frontpage and hope it works. Although you may be able to paste the HTML markup into the HTML tab and edit it that way. Frontpage has some quirks, that do a lot of background work when you publish the files.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Jeb - In version 4 of Xtreme, when you export your design using the 'Website' option Sledger notes, it will save a copy of your design (in the location you specified via the export dialogue box) with a .htm extension. It will also create a folder that has the resources (images etc.) needed for that .htm file to open properly in a web browser. Note that doing such an export is not the same thing as saving it. Typically you'd save your document in Xara's native .xar format and then do your export using the 'website' option. Having saved as a .xar will allow you to re-open in Xtreme and alter as desired giving you the option to re-export as a website with any changes you want.

When you export the 'website', you should be able to just double-click its file icon and have the file display automatically in your web browser. In opening, the browser will go to the associated resources folder and use the elements in it to display the page. You can pretty much ignore the resouces folder yourself -- you needn't open it. For the webpage to work however note that that the .htm file and the associated resource folder must both be located in the same location. (Moving the resources folder to another separate location will break the connections between the resources and the .htm page).

If you want that page to be on the internet you will need to upload it to a server. As Kieth notes you can use simple software like CuteFTP or WS_FTP95 to move the files from your computer to your server account. You might well be able to do that uploading with FrontPage I'm just not familiar with how it works. You can certainly try opening the .htm file in FrontPage and see if it loads properly. You can probably tell in a jiffy if it will work. Assuming it does then you might well be able to upload it in FrontPage just as if you had created it in that program. You might also find you can edit the page more in FrontPage too but note that any changes you make there won't be in the .xar file the next time you open it in Xara.

I realize all this can be a bit overwhelming. If you try the Xtreme export and then use something like CuteFTP to get the .htm file and the associated resorces folder to your server, I think you'll find it pretty darn easy.

Let us know how you make out. We are cheering for you!

Regards, Ross
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 04 April 2008 at 08:54 PM.

Well I have downloaded 3 times..4th now after your post and still don't get the option!
    I have doen un-install re-install, cleaned registry each time, even tried in safe mode and still can't get the option...I am hoping the shipped version will cure my problems.
    Jim