Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: question about expander.xar

Thanks,

I was able to change the directory, but sadly it still wouldn't work for me.

I give up. I'll have to have my dad give it a go when he comes to visit next.

If any of you would like to give it a shot I'll attach the file.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Jen
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's a pretty weighty .xar file Jen.. Does it contain many photos and/or bitmaps?

I see there have been some downloads already, hopefully someone will have some good news for you

Yeah, it has photos of my embroidery that I extracted, then added shadows and elliptical images to.

It's all for my displays on my website. I use them as links to open pages for that particular pattern that's being sold.

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfun View Post
    Thanks,

I was able to change the directory, but sadly it still wouldn't work for me.

Jen
    Jen,

I have downloaded your file and run expandXar on it.

Unfortunately it chokes on something in the file and gives an error (this is not a problem with my running of ExpandXar, it's the problem with the file itself)

The (incomplete) result has only one 'trick or treat' image in it, which I doubt is much use to you.

Xara staff are often able to fix these files enough to load more completely (I'm sure they have much more powerful tools for analysing files), so if no-one comes along here to help, you should probably try the official support channels - I've no idea how responsive they are.

For reference, though I don't think it's useful to anyone, the output from ExpandXar I get is this:

C:\temp>expandxar circlesfordisplay.xar out.xar
    DoImport failed
    Fixing tree depth (9)

I got the exact same error messages and the one image in the file.
    ~ DanDaBear ~
    Some people think inside the box, Some people think outside the box, I think about the box

Thanks to everyone who tried.

It looks like it's a lost file. This is the only down fall I have with Xara. Sometimes the files work and sometimes they don't. I haven't had any experience with Adobe products so I don't really know if it's just a hazard of the trade or not.

Oh well, Xara is still my first love and I'll keep working with it. Just wish it was more stable.

Jen

It won't open, but it previews fine. Not sure why that is, but obviously some information is there. Suvek has a utility that may recover some more of it, and Xara may be able to recover it too. have you contactd Xara Support?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfun View Post
    Just wish it was more stable.
    Yeh I'm sorry your file doesn't seem recoverable. Computers are complex things and sometimes all the zero's and one's just fall in a heap due to a myriad of possible reasons.
    To be honest, and I don't work for Xara - it's one of the most stable programs I have used - (with the exception of Notepad -

Try a day working with CorelDRAW and you'll soon learn about stability (or the lack there-of)

Maybe the multiple backup routines Xara have introduced might help in these events?
    (creation of backups are turned off by default, let us know if you need help enabling this feature?)

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    It won't open, but it previews fine. Not sure why that is
    A small part at the beginning of every file is the thumbnail image of what the file looked like when it was saved. Even when the file is corrupted beyond repair, the thumbnail of what it should contain is still there (unless it's so corrupted the file is 0 bytes, of course).
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.