Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another comparison.
    LEFT.
    300dpi jpg from as yet unfinished xara drawing

RIGHT.
    300dpi CMYK tiff, overall blue cast and various other faults fom the same unfinished xara drawing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comparison_2.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	18781  

Another comparison.
    LEFT.
    300dpi jpg from as yet unfinished xara drawing

RIGHT.
    300dpi CMYK tiff, overall blue cast and various other faults fom the same unfinished xara drawing

HI Derek,

Do you mean the "screen left" is the tiff?? If so then yea, it looks a bit "off".

Even the size seems wrong, squished up or something.

The one on the "screen right" is really very nice looking!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Derek

They both look pretty close.

Slight color shifts are innevitable, especially when going from RGB to CMYK. I'm impressed that the colors have maintained most of their saturation.

In the end, the question you must ask is, is this convincing and if someone sees it who has not seen the original, will she or he know that the color has shifted one degree this way or that.

Gary

Gary see my earlier moan about cmyk export.
    The three examples on there show complete colour shifts Red to green / green to blue in the cmyk tiff, to a point where the printer's it was sent to rejected the files with a string of expletives and a good deal of derision about the application it was produced in. He was simply protecting the end clents interests as printing from the files would have produced a sub standard job. I was embarrased, I felt I couldn't defend Xara, a piece of software I have effectivly been championing for some years and I hoped was reaching maturity.
    To make money from a piece software, the manufacture has to allow its customes to make money first and foremost, or else no one will buy it.

derek

The slight colour shifts are inevitable - you are showing in RGB an image that was RGB, converted to CMYK and now converted back to RGB (so we can see it on screen). The First RGB to CMYK conversions takes into account ink weighting, the fact that printer inks are polluted (i.e. there is more yellow in the magenta ink than there should be) and lot more beside, such as under colour removal, grey component replacement, dot gain etc

So given that printer CMYK colours are very poor second cousins to the RGB colours it's unavoidable that there will be colour shifts. Or to be technical about it, the CMYK printer gamut is considerably smaller than the RGB colour gamut and so colours will inevitably be different.

On top of that I do not know how you are showing an RGB version of a CMYK bitmaps. Presumably converted back in some other program and so that further complicates matters. So I'm with Gary - I think if you get CMYK results as good as on the right, then you're doing very well, no matter what software you're using.

The other case where red objects are printing green, is something else altogether and we'll have to look into that. We may contact you directly to get the file. We've never reproduced anything like that in any of our (or the beta tester) tests. I would hope it's a pretty easy fix.

Charles
    Thanks for the response.
    The drawing of the flower is not the best (worst) example and may have been a bad to choice to further ilustrate the point regarding colour shifts I'm experiencing, though the colour shifts are more extreme on my scree first hand prior to being saved as jpg.
    The three images of the labels due to have been printed Monday (next) are a lot more disturbing though I admit I have also had at least one (so far) success, namely a four colour business card which was exported CYK tiff from Xara and subsequently printed yesterday.
    However no matter how many times I try I cannot get the label (TOP POPS) images to translate well to CMYK and I'd think it's worth looking at even if I end up with egg on my face and it turns out to be a problem peculiar to me.
    As regards RGB versions of CMYK.
    The example of 3 labels
    Xara- CMYK
    XARA- RGB
    CorelDraw12- CMYK .. I assume you are talking about. The xar. file was exported cmyk. I also exported it RGB which was then imported to CD12 and re-exported as cmyk.
    The CD12 cmyk of the RGB tiff is very close to the original xar.file. Much, much closer than the xara cmyk tiff is to the original file.
    Hope I havn't confused you with all that and I do hope a solution can be found to my problem;if it is my problem

derek

Hello

It looks like the biggest shift is in the shadows, except for a neutral colour under a leaf.
    Look at the darker areas of the petal.
    Light areas look pretty good.

Looks like a clipping of shadow tones.

Mike Engles

What I noticed most was the size and if you look at the bud in the middle it looks squished.

OK, I downloaded and loaded the image into Xara X1 sliced the two away from each other and then took the larger one and applied flat transparency to it and then sized it to match the dull one on the 'screen left' and then re-exported it and so I'm not sure but it looks like Derek must have resized the one on the 'screen left' to fit it. In any case the 'screen left' flowers look dull, especially the stamens!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/eek.gif The shadows look nicer though. Softer. So maybe I am focusing on the wrong image. I would have to say, over all I like the one the 'screen right' side the best. Crisp colors, ect....

Name:	ubb.x.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	12241  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hello

I took your image posted earlier and opened it in Photoshop CS.(top left)

I copied and converted to CMYK in Photoshop (top right).

Next I made a RGB gradient in Photoshop and saved it. Converted it to CMYK (bottom left)

Imported RGB saved gradient into XaraX1. Exported as CMYK tif and opened it in Photoshop CS.(bottom left).

You can clearly see the difference,in the gradient and pretty well no difference in the original image.

Mike Engles

Name:	cmyk.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	14502