Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: XXV4 - XPE cropping

I forgot about the new photo tool within XXPV4, so I double-clicked an image and got XPE.

I had the same cropping problems and had to resort to another program to get the image sized correctly. Now that I remember about the photo tool, IŽll give it another go. (I was using the latest update.)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
    I forgot about the new photo tool within XXPV4..
    There are some benefits of upgrading

Unhappy Re: XXV4 - XPE cropping

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yes - if you select 'edit bitmaps with...' and leave box blank

whilst I was here I checked xpe in version 4.0.4966 [april 14] and now I see the crop problem - maybe I was just 'lucky' last time

but it would appear the photo tool clip is replacing it so I guess that's that...
    For the first time in 3 years of using xara, I also have a cropping error and it is highly fustrating. I am running the xtreme pro 4 downloaded version and after clicking the cropping button the return image is not at all correct!!!! Can someone fix it. The new image seems to be the same dimension as the un-cropped version and zoomed in, but if I double click and go back to the photo editor it appears correct there and still wrong in the page layout. Need a fast fix. I didn't have the problem with the earlier version and am trying to put together a publication.
    Thanx,
    GunnyCC

Use the photo tool - the crop function works fine there (this is already explained earlier in the thread).

Paul

BTW - GunnyCC welcome to the forums. If you have been using Xara for three years, where have you been?!

Paul

Use the photo tool - the crop function works fine there (this is already explained earlier in the thread).

Paul
    -----------------------------------------------
    Paul,

In the Xtreme Pro ver 3.2 I can double click and the photo editing tools worked. I guess I got to change the method. Ashame it doesn't work the same though.
    Last edited by gunnycc; 25 April 2008 at 04:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by gunnycc View Post
    In the Xtreme Pro ver 3.2 I can double click and the photo editing tools worked. Now, I upgrade to 4.0 and they don't?!?
    I have two problems:
    1. I do not desire to switch between two different programs.
    Well - double-clicking and using XPE actually is switching between two programs.
    What makes this program so great is cropping, fixing and adjusting on the fly. If I import a picture then combine and create a bitmap I sometimes desire to crop the new image. Now I can't. Doesn't seem right.
    But yes you can - the tools available in XPE are now ingrated into Xtreme via the PhotoTol [P] button. Cropping/clipping is there and much easier now.
    XPE is being phased out.
    2. Why upgrade to a program that takes away a benefit.
    The whole point of the PhotoTools being integrated is to do away with the need to wait for another program to load (XPE) and adds the benefits directly into Xtreme, along with some pretty nifty additional tools like the photo stitching panorama maker which I would imagine could be terrific for some of your Real Estate photos?

gunnycc rather than editing and totally changing your post twenty minutes later - please post an update to your comments.
    Removing them completely makes my post look pretty silly as nothing of what I have quoted now exists.

Thanks

In order to understand what is happening to your clipped photo you need to understand the changes that happened in the 4.0 release. The most important one is that the photo object is be deprecated, and being replaced with a bitmap filled object. This was done to make photo handling more consistent for users, every object which appears to be a photo will always have the same operations available.
    One aspect of the old photo objects is that their size is intimately tied to the dimensions of the photo, so when they are clipped their size is automatically changed. The new bitmap filled type photos don't have this intimate relationship (and in fact are much more flexible, for example they could be a hand-drawn bezier shape). Because it is not always possible to resize these objects after a clip, we instead 'best-fit' the clipped photo into the shape (like we do when we do a bitmap replace, which in many ways is what it is). This basically involves zooming the photo so that it covers the entire of the shape that contains the bitmap (see attached bitmap).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illustration.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	48328  

Luke, what is important is that Xtreme works as a user might reasonably expect. Currently XPE is not giving results that we expect and using the same tool either through XPE or the photo tools, gives different results for the same operation.

Both tools should work as expected, in the same consistent fashion, or XPE should be dropped or 'fixed'.

Paul