Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Suprising Macro's

It's a while ago I purchased the little PENTAX (as I call it).
    My main camera is a PENTAX dSLR, but the little S5n is a brilliant compact metal skinned beauty that I bought for it's 30fps 640x480 no length limit (until card is full) movie shooting. It was an impulse buy really, but it's a very nice little camera to handle.
    In my work I very often see things that must be recorded to show the customer and to keep for future referrence, I had an old KODAK DC280 for this, but it died so the little PENTAX came in handy here.

But it was much better than the KODAK as I found it could take fabulously close macros! This makes the cam ideal for those very close-up shots of burned chips, popped caps and other computer hardware failures that I need recorded.

Here's a shot of a 20 pin PSU to mother board power connection plug which, after an electrical storm, showed how the spike travelled to the motherboard itself.

EXIF overlaid for the curious
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psu2mb.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	48243  
    IP

Default Re: Suprising Macro's

That's amazing for a small camera - colour me impressed.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Pretty neat Steve.

Do you have a tripod to keep the camera steady? I have found that a when taking extreme closeups it is good to set the camera on a timer also to eliminate camera shake.

I use a tripod and a cable release to do those types of shots with my IST DS*. I also have some ancilliary macro lenses (they attach like filters) that can bring in the shot even closer.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook
    IP

Try using a reversing ring and adding a lens to the front - that gives amazing close ups. Can get some really interesting effects. Some friends and I added a 45mm standard lens to the front of a 210mm zoom. You have to focus by moving the camera but the final result is worth it if you want it really close.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    Do you have a tripod to keep the camera steady?
    Not for these shots, a tiny 83mm x 53mm x 20mm camera is totally lost perched on a large Velbon - a bit of an overkill
    I take several shots, discard the rubbish.
    IP

Hi Steve,

I have a couple of those little desktop tripods. Do you have one of those? They are not good for a DSLR, but for one of those point and shots they should be okay.

Many times I have put the subject close to the edge of a table, and then used a full tripod right next to it. Then I don't have to bend over and still try and keep the camera steady.

Do you have one of those little shooting tents? They work nice for nice even lighting.
    Last edited by raynerj1; 22 April 2008 at 06:19 PM.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook
    IP