Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Installing XX4P on more than one computer

Quote Originally Posted by samrc View Post
    FYI...I buy a personal license for home use and have my office buy a second license for my employer, for my work machine. Though I have the only access to software on that PC, should I leave the company, they will still have a copy that is legal for another person to use. And I get to keep MY copy.
    I do the same thing.

Samantha,

As Sledger says:
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    If the copy you use at work is registered in your name, then obviously, you hold two licenses and the EULA applies to you in both cases.
    It may be wiser to have the office copy changed to the business owners name. As long as only one copy is being used in the office it shouldn't be a problem that you and not the owner is using the software, but Charles should comment to be sure. As it stands, it would appear that YOU hold two licences.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 03 April 2008 at 02:51 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Samantha,

As Sledger says:It may be wiser to have the office copy changed to the business owners name. As long as only one copy is being used in the office it shouldn't be a problem that you and not the owner is using the software, but Charles should comment to be sure. As it stands, it would appear that YOU hold two licences.
    And that would mean that HE could use the program on two computers
    AT THE SAME TIME, cool.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    It may be wiser to have the office copy changed to the business owners name. As it stands, it would appear that YOU hold two licences.
    Yes, that's the cleanest way to do it and that's how I handle it. The home copy of Pro is in my name, the work copy is in the name of the place I work at. I don't want there to be any confusion between the two which keeps me out of any trouble at work. There's no question about who owns what that way.

Nope... Staying in MY name until/unless I leave the company.
    1) I have corporate credit card in MY name that matches all the registration info, easier for payment and tracking.
    2) All software specific to MY machine only (not Word, Excel, etc) are registered to my name, per request from the owner. That registration information is kept separate from the other software info so it will not be put on other machines. Limited access to the disks and serial numbers.
    3) Registered with business name, physical address and email so it is truly separate from my own personal license.
    4) When I purchased from Xara, I went through the sales staff and discussed best options.

As it stands, it would appear that YOU hold two licences.
    SO???? The owner of the company and I both know the difference.
    He wants my name on there so correspondence, updates, messages, etc all come to me not him.

The important issues:
    - Xara is paid for two licenses.
    - There is a separation between my own and the companies copies for payment and registration
    - Neither the company nor I will lose valuable software if there is a parting of the ways.
    - I trust myself to walk away from the license that is not mine.
    - Since my boss has the ability to change the name on the account at any time, he is satisfied and actually prefers to have my name on it at this time.
    Last edited by samrc; 03 April 2008 at 06:44 PM.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Charles would be the best person to clear this up

Charles would be the best person to clear this up
    Nothing to clear up for me or the company I work for! Charles was very clear:

Charles Moir Charles Moir - Xara Group Ltd
    Yes that is acceptable, and it is what the EULA is meant to say. It's the only reasonable and fair thing to do in my opinion. I have six computers, but there's only one of me, so I can't be cheating anyone by having it on all my machines. Other companies should take the same view in my opinion.

But this is only as long as they are my computers and under my control and can't be used by anyone else at the same time.

So in effect we're licensing the software to you the person, not tied to a specific computer.

(Muttering to myself: I should NOT have posted!!! These folks are way to worried about my name being on two licenses. SHEESH!)

- Xara license terms are being honored
    - Xara receives payment for 2 licenses on two different credit cards at 2 different addresses
    - My company has a license and I have a license.
    - Software is used on 3 machines (1 OFFICE pc, 1 HOME pc+laptop)
    - It's Simple!
    - Everyone concerned is protected from improper installations and it has worked GREAT for everyone concerned for YEARS! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!)

EVEN IF LEGAL, EVEN IF ALLOWED, I did not want to put MY SERIAL NUMBER on a work computer. I did not want to lose MY software to a company should I leave and did not want the company to lose their software to me. Either way one of us would lose.

But for others, if they want to put it on all three computers (office, home, laptop) because they all are used by the same person, not at the same time, that is a PERSONAL decision.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Quote Originally Posted by samrc View Post
    (Muttering to myself: I should NOT have posted!!! These folks are way to worried about my name being on two licenses. SHEESH!)
    Hi Samantha,
    I'm not seeing that holding two licenses in your own name is problem.
    I think everyone here is just trying to respond to your situation and put forward their understanding of the EULA and Charles' clarification of it.
    Distilling this to a simplified conclusion is the goal here. Though as I say, Charles would be the better person to confirm anything said here.

1. You own the Computer/s
    2. You own the license/s
    3. You are the only user

Would you agree that about covers it?

I have one copy of XXP4 in my name and it is installed on 3 computers. My laptop at work, and my laptop and desktop at home. No one ever uses the program except me. No one ever even uses those computers except me.
    Well I did catch the dog surfing the net a few times but he doesn't use XXP
    Last edited by a4hire; 03 April 2008 at 08:27 PM.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

surfin or sniffin
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...