Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default PDF Import in Xtreme4

Just thought I'd note that the importing of pdf's seems to be working well in version4. It hasn't received much attention around here but I have the feeling it will be important in my own work.

I use SketchUp to do 3d models. In the past I would export a jpg and bring it into Xara for some page layout work. Now I can bring in a PDF and keep my Xara document all vector-based. It might also allow me to use SketchUp to create elements for use in a Xara drawing. For instance I know many of the Marvel comic book illustrators are now using SketchUp to model background scenes. I presume they then work with bitmap-based exports. With the pdf import feature in Xtreme it gives an easy way to get such a background scene into Xtreme and keep it completely vector-based.

I haven't really had time to play with pdf import yet but I'm looking forward to exploring some of the possibilities. Has anyone found it useful or had any ideas for it?

Regards, Ross

Default Re: PDF Import in Xtreme4

So far it is much much better importing [cairo]pdf's made with inksacpe 0.46

I do this a lot to port vector - but occasionally using say inkscape tracer or fill tool I would have both bitmap and vector in the file.

Previously I needed to strip out the bitmaps first or the pdf import to xxp would fail.

Now it works - I am very pleased

This is one of the 'little' things that mean a lot to me

Thanks xara
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, I mentioned in another thread actually: the PDF importer is very much improved and it hasn't really received much in the way of attention. There are occasions when it performs better than AI's own importer (but sometimes less well, just to add balance in the interest of fairness)!

Yep, I use PDF as my favoured import format now. Seems quite stable, avoids the endless problems with EPS and friends.

I wish there was a quick way to join all the separate line segments SketchUp's PDF exporter produces though!