Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Installing XX4P on more than one computer

Hi, this is my first post.

I have been using previous versions of Xtreme Pro on my 2 desktop PCs plus my laptop.

When version 4 came out I bought the upgrade and installed okay onto my PC, but when I try to activate the copy on my laptop it tells me my licence number is incorrect (I tried both serials).

According to the support website:

"Can I install my Xara software on to more than one computer?" Yes, the license allows you to install copies onto as many computers as you require - so long as you are the only user. For example, you could install it on both your desktop and laptop computers.

However the Legal section in the Version 4 help file has a different story:

You are permitted to: 1. load or download the Software and use it only on a single client computer which is under your personal control;

On Monday I put in a support ticket asking for clarification on the issue but have not had a reply yet.

Has anyone else been able to activate V4 on more than one computer?

Cheers

Ron

Default Re: Installing XX4P on more than one computer

Quote Originally Posted by Hexen53 View Post
    Has anyone else been able to activate V4 on more than one computer?
    I have... I use two desktops and a laptop. I've successfully installed XXP4 on one desktop and the laptop, and XX4 on both desktops.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help!

If you continuing to read the EULA, point 2 it does clarify that you can transfer the software to any of your computers, as long as only one is in use at any one time.

2) transfer the Software from one computer to another provided it is used on only one computer at any one time;

But the wording is confusing and we'll try and fix it - lawyers for you. They love confusing, that's how they get paid.

The bottom line Charles, is are you (Xara) going to make it an issue if we load the software on multiple computers, as long as we are only using one at a time? it sounds from your reply that you deem that acceptable.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Yes that is acceptable, and it is what the EULA is meant to say. It's the only reasonable and fair thing to do in my opinion. I have six computers, but there's only one of me, so I can't be cheating anyone by having it on all my machines. Other companies should take the same view in my opinion.

But this is only as long as they are my computers and under my control and can't be used by anyone else at the same time.

So in effect we're licensing the software to you the person, not tied to a specific computer.

That works for me - Thank you for clarifying that.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

WHOOOWHOOO! I will put mine on my laptop now too!

FYI...I buy a personal license for home use and have my office buy a second license for my employer, for my work machine. Though I have the only access to software on that PC, should I leave the company, they will still have a copy that is legal for another person to use. And I get to keep MY copy.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Quote Originally Posted by samrc View Post
    FYI...I buy a personal license for home use and have my office buy a second license for my employer, for my work machine. Though I have the only access to software on that PC, should I leave the company, they will still have a copy that is legal for another person to use. And I get to keep MY copy.
    I think it's now fairly obvious from what Charles has said that the second license for your employer means it is licensed to 'him' - not you or anyone else (assuming it's his name that is the registered license holder)

So in effect we're licensing the software to you the person, not tied to a specific computer.
    If the copy you use at work is registered in your name, then obviously, you hold two licenses and the EULA applies to you in both cases.

Hopefully Charles can confirm or otherwise for us both

Thanks for the clarification.

It seems that my problem activating the software on my laptop was due to me downloading the standard version by mistake and then trying to apply my Pro serial - Doh!

Ron

The license I hold in MY name (using my own email address and home mailing address) would allow me to put that software on 3 machines:
    - personal home desktop
    - personal laptop
    - work pc
    All of those machines are used solely by me and based on Charles's clarification I would be legally correct to do so.

HOWEVER, I choose to NOT use my personal license on the work pc.
    Instead, I hold a second license IN MY OWN NAME (using the company email and street address) that is used specifically for the business pc. Should I leave that company, another person would take my job, use that software fully legally. I would walk away from that license and continue to use MY personal license only. I do this method with all software that allows multiple computers because there is no conflict of who owns the software and is the company running a legal copy... The software company (XARA in this case) is not ripped off and if they continue to upgrade, it will not interfere with MY personal license.

If I used MY OWN personal license at the office, before leaving I would have to uninstall the software, stripping that machine of a resource. Otherwise imagine if it were all the same license and someone got to the upgrade before me. Then the company would get the upgrade breaks and I would be out in the cold starting from scratch! That just bite me in the end.

So its jsut cleaner and neater if there is a parting of the ways that we each have a license.
    And I leave the company with a resource I know is beneficial.
    Last edited by samrc; 03 April 2008 at 02:39 PM.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)