Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: X4 'Panacea' Or 'Pan Of Something Else'?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fantastic! More than I could have wished for!

33 55.00%
  • Some nice minor improvments (was waiting for text underline)!

14 23.33%
  • Nothing new to tempt me!

2 3.33%
  • Disappointed (more bolt-on pointlessness, no new core vector tools)

11 18.33%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: X4 'Panacea' Or 'Pan Of Something Else' Poll?

I think that xara have got the balance just right this time - it will 'shift product'.

That can only be good for the future of xara and for the aspirations of its current users re new tools etc.

other points I might make already covered

Bit of a 'c**p' job on the poll options there JA - IMO
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Bit of a 'c**p' job on the poll options there JA - IMO
    No need to be rude to me.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

This is an interesting thread and it is true ---> There really is no need for anyone to be rude. This thread does highlight that as users we do not all share the same priorities or use Xtreme for the same things. That is okay.

It is important that those who would have preferred more development on the drawing tools have a voice. It seems that sometimes around here at Talkgraphics we sometimes forget that we as a relatively small group are not all the people using Xara. Even if it seems like the majority around here appear to be non-professional users of Xara, it does not mean there aren't lots of professional users out there. Many pros don't spend time hanging out at forums - their voices can go unheard. The few that do hang out here are a great resource for the rest of us. They deserve the same respect as anybody else without subtle (and not so subtle) intimations that they aren't welcome or that their viewpoints should be dismissed.

Regards, Ross

honest opinion - about the poll options - not you

I have been involved in canvassing and MR - these questions are not going to produce a meaningful result
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I found Xara superior to any other vector tools in many ways and have expressed it many times.
    Some new features, espescially the multi-core and the color dropper have definite advantages.

But I would've expect some ui tweaking, for example maybe the align and layer dialog windows or some kind of slider controls for brush width.

A paint bucket would have been also much appreciated also for my part...

Regards,

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    ...The few that do hang out here are a great resource for the rest of us. They deserve the same respect as anybody else without subtle (and not so subtle) intimations that they aren't welcome or that their viewpoints should be dismissed...
    With all due respect Ross, I don't get the sense that is what is being implied on this thread. Without the professionals TG would not be what it is and all contributors are given parity, I can't see where the notion that professionals - or anyone - are not made welcome comes from frankly. Which is why the comment, "Some Crap To Keep The Hobbists Happy!!!!" in the original thread jarred a nerve, implying that non-professionals are not able to appreciate the finer points of Xara. Some users of Xara (in part or entirely) for work want specific improvements now, some see the development process providing these over time, but there are non-professional users who are just as adept who contribute here and I (though obviously not including myself in the latter category ) thought the above comment, while being an opinion, was rude and badly expressed. Apropos of that, I think Steve's opinion - which I agree with for what that's worth - of the question choice used terminology reflecting that in the above comment so he wasn't being rude in my opinion ... if you throw stones expect some back.

Hope this comes over as it is meant - I've had nothing but respect here and give respect and on the whole the same goes for all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express that opinion and I don't think there is a prevailing dichotomy between "hobbyists" and professionals.

We're all (well, mostly) enjoying Xara. Let's get on with it, eh? Please
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

neodeist - yes it is a two way street. Treating non-professionals as less important or inferior users isn't appropriate either.

And I can see that yes I was overstating what I said was being 'implied'. Still we don't have many professionals active in this community - it is probably for many reasons but the reason should never be that they aren't welcome or that their viewpoints are irrelevant to the ways many of us use Xtreme.

Regards, Ross

Agree totally
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    "Some Crap To Keep The Hobbists Happy!!!!"
    Bottom line is this ... if you're a professional using Xara you primarily will use it for it's powerful vector capabilities to create illustrations, layouts (brochure, web, etc), draw icons, maybe even create art (like me). A professional will really dislike to turn something from a vector into a rastor to play around with effects for three simple reasons 1. there are better tools out there to do such editting, 2. it makes it less edittable, 3. it's not longer 100% scalable.

It's just a feeling / a sense of Vectors as a medium which is the important thing. And support for that feeling. I feel that the illustrators are being more and more left out in the cold by Xara Ltd. With each new release Xara draws futher away from it's roots and alienates it's original core user base even futher! From X2 onwards it's clearly said Vectors are no longer important to us or Xtreme as a product. At the end of the day a lot of the improvements they can impliment on this side of things is not even that complex - the new photo-editting features are far more complex to impliment.

Most professionals create flash animations in FLASH, do image editting in PHOTOSHOP, use DREAMWEAVER to create html or better still handcode. They want new vector tools.

If chasing the hobbyist dollar is what Xara want to do, good luck to them but in the meantime the likes of Illustrator or Expression will catch up to what made Xara the best vector application out there.

This poll clearly shows it's split down the middle 50% are happy with the new RASTER features and 50% are probably not. So the 50% that have had that fill on X4 should be greatful and the 50% which don't see it as a great step forward should be looked after in X5 - i.e. New Vector Tools please.

I have used Illustrator (when I had to) and did not like it. Felt the same with other Adobe products...necessary evil sometimes... Don't remember hearing anyone on any forum actually say they LIKE to use or look forward to using PS or ILL...

I respect the work that others have accomplished with this product and tip my hat to the professionals. I sincerely hope the XXP product will continue to develop tools that help these professionals accomplish their work faster and easier! Their work inspires, allows others to dream. That same work, showcased on the forum and in the workbooks attracts hobbyists like me to the product, expanding the sales base.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)