Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: X4 'Panacea' Or 'Pan Of Something Else'?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fantastic! More than I could have wished for!

33 55.00%
  • Some nice minor improvments (was waiting for text underline)!

14 23.33%
  • Nothing new to tempt me!

2 3.33%
  • Disappointed (more bolt-on pointlessness, no new core vector tools)

11 18.33%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default X4 'Panacea' Or 'Pan Of Something Else' Poll?

What do you all think, you don't have to add a message if you don't want, just vote anonymously.

Default Re: X4 'Panacea' Or 'Pan Of Something Else' Poll?

It's difficult to say. There are some detail improvements and also some new features which are pointless in my eyes.

Remi

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    It's difficult to say. There are some detail improvements and also some new features which are pointless in my eyes.

Remi
    I guess just your gut reaction.

The minor additions are nice. Some of them are very nice.

But the inclusion of Xara3D (which has never struck me as anything much more than a toy) is fairly pointless.

There are many other vector features that would elevate Xara to extreme greatness, but in my view, they aren't here in this release.

i bought it, since I am on the upgrade path it did not cost much. I am glad they fixed the shape (clipping) path issue, the Extrude is interesting, kind of limited in its application though, I do not use photo tools all that much but that and the html export are probably important tools for many people. But I too have waited for several releases for new and innovative vector tools, being a vector devotee and junkie. Maybe someday Xara will return to their roots, maybe not, who knows.
    adios,
    sunland

I upgraded from 3.0 before i tried it. I thought the "dirty-booleans" bugfix would be worth it, it's not that expensive duh! Guessing that the few minor slowdown issues will be solved soon.

But also i'm somehow disappointed in what direction xara development is pushing.

In don't want the next release to integrate a wave editor to manipulate sounds in my xara flash files.

Quote Originally Posted by JokeArtist View Post
    What do you all think, you don't have to add a message if you don't want, just vote anonymously.
    I like the idea of a Poll, but feel the questions good have been better concieved.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 02 April 2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: misread poll q

I got the underlined-text joke, hehehe.

But i still like some of minor improvemets.

As a "hobbyist" I think it's wonderful! I can understand that a professional might not be so impressed perhaps - because of certain tools not being as they would wish for instance - but there again it seems a fair number of regular contributors here who use Xara in tandem with other programs for their work are impressed too.

Personaly, I think Xara are getting the balance right. They're not out to challenge Adobe-type stuff.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by mikalele View Post
    ...i'm somehow disappointed in what direction xara development is pushing.
    This comes up every upgrade. Charles Moir made it quite clear what direction he would be pursuing some time ago.

"We do have an integrated bitmap / photo editor, because in principle I don't believe you can or should separate the two worlds. Real users want to mix photos and vector artwork, and so it's simply more convenient to be able to do this directly from within your vector editor..."

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...39&postcount=6

That this appeals to hobbyists more than professionals, is perhaps not surprising, but that is where it is going. And the broader audience will likely do more to keep the product alive than a few features that some pros would find useful, but would never make it an Illustrator killer. Limited resources being what they are, I think it's a smart choice.

For my part, I wouldn't call it a panacea, but it is clearly an improvement I'm happy to pay for. More than I could wish for? Hardly. I can wish for alot!

Perhaps expanding the market will eventually give Xara the funds necessary to implement some of the features the pros want...