Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I make tables in Xara

Hello, users. I'm new to Xara, but am enjoying it a lot. I wonder how to make tables in xara. Apparently version 3.2 doesn't have this feature. Is that planned for version 4?
    So far what I have done is do copy a table from MS Word and paste it as a metafile?
    Is that the recommended approach?
    Thanks.

Eduardo

Default Re: How do I make tables in Xara

Welcome to the Extreme Conference Eduardo.

There is no table creation as such but you can create the cells and then use tabs to place your content.

I showed how to do this in Workbook 56. See Creating a Table in Xtreme Pro.

Gary

Great question and perfect timing.

I recently did the same "paste it as a metafile" from Word into XXP because it was so fast and convenient. I grouped the data and resized it to fit the space. Looks exactly the way we want it to.

The rest of the file is all XARA, including a couple simple tables using lines and rectangles to shade behind. Did not make individual CELL rectangles. Used lines to create them. Used tabs to line up text.

Are there any DOWN SIDES to pasting the one table as a metafile?
    The table would be a PAIN to recreate. But if necessary, I do have time to do it before the file goes to the printer...
    Last edited by samrc; 02 April 2008 at 03:42 AM. Reason: clarified what I wrote.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Thanks for the pointers. Yes I'm pleased with the results from pasting into Xara as enhanced metafile. The trouble is that any change in the content of the cells, or border, or background I have to go back to original and change it there, copy and paste again, resize and reposition again, because doing changing directly in Xara would be too much work. For one thing all letters are ungrouped, so you cannot simply reedit a word.

edu

pasting into Xara as enhanced metafile. The trouble is that any change in the content of the cells, or border, or background I have to go back to original and change it there, copy and paste again, resize and reposition again
    Yes. I have had to change one table a couple times to resolve font issues. In WORD I could bold some of my font. XXP v4 will no longer support synthesized fonts so I adjusted my WORD file fonts in a couple areas and re-pasted the table.

Since it is a complicated table, I am satisfied that the pasted table will suit this time, UNLESS SOMEONE TELLS ME I SHOULD NOT DO IT because I will have printer issues, etc. Hope someone has feedback on the pros/cons of doing that.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)